Propane Burner Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StusBrew

Reaction score
Well, I have a turkey fryer burner. I got turkery frying kit a while ago (2 years I think.) It's out of the box, etc. Apparantly I didn't hold onto the booklet or directions. I manage to do it for everything else though.

Anyway, you hook the hose up to propane tank. A regulator with a red dial that turns on and off right near connect point to propane tank. On the burner stand itself is the damper and like a little spray nozzle for the gas. The problem is when I get everything connected, the only way to get it lit is if I hold this button down. And also a timer or something. I turn it, makes a "ding" sound. Says "20 min" on it.
Question is: How do I keep it going without always having the button pushed down to keep burner lit?
I admit, seems really stupid, I feel not at all manly right now. But if anyone has experience with this type. Obviously, I've never encountered this type before.

Planning on brewing either on Saturday or Sunday. A kids' birthday party on Saturday at 2 and debating on whether to do it before the party or wait until after Mass on Sunday.

Hold the button, light it, keep holding for 30 secs or so, then let go. It bypasses the thermocouple, just need to wait for it to heat up.

Ahhh...I knew it had to be a trick. I was thinking I had to turn it or something. Was getting things set and familiar before I started first all-grain, full boil. Also trying not to waste gas before I actually brew.

Like luke said. It's a safety mechanism so you're not purging your area w/ unlit propane. The timer thing can be a real PIA. I took one of my wife's elastic hair thingees, turned the dial to 20 minutes and hooked the hair thingee to the button you mentioned. It keeps the timer from moving and the flame going.

It is an OSHA type safety POC thing so you can only keep the gas on for 20 minutes as a time. You can get a different regulator that does not have it. If you boil Wort too long, it does not catch. on fire

Like I said. I haven't seen that before. I started messing with that and immediately started thinking of how I can rig it to stay on for longer than 20 minutes.

Thanks for all the input. appreciate it.

I fixed my timer with Duct Tape (well, gaffers tape technically). I turned the dial all the way and simply taped it in place. Held for a year and counting.

Brewed yesterday. It was okay as long as heated strike/sparge water. Only for a few minutes. But got time to boil. Dang thing wouldn't stay lit. Went inside to get a glass of beer. Chatted with kids and wife. ~20 minutes later. Went outside with rubberband (that was bundles with asparagus). Wrapped it around timer and the "button". Stayed lit for the whole hour.

The button simply overrides the thermocouple "safety feature". Holding it down will work, but most likely, the probe that sits close to the flame is not working correctly. I remember when I first got my turkey fryer, I had to play a bit with the placement of the probe until I got it to work correctly. Since then, the only other adjustment that I had to do was the taping of the timer knob so that it would not shut off automatically after 20 minutes.

Glad to hear you were able to find a functional work around for the stupid "safety feature".

Not to hijack the thread....Ok maybe I am. The only propane tanks I have will not attach to my turkey fryer. Yes they are old tanks and no I do not take them into town to fill but fill them myself off a 1000 gallon tank I have filled once a year.

Does this mean I am going to have to buy one of those silly durn new tanks.

I used to have a worthless "guage" that never worked right. The one thing it did to was work as an adapter between the "old" and the "new" style hook ups.

If you don't have one of those, when your tank is empty (or if you cannot wait that long), simply exchange it for a full one with the "new" type of hookup. Most employees don't even look at the tank you are bringing in. At the Menards store near me the entire process of tank echange is automated from a kiosk outside the store. Employees don't even get involved with the process.

I'm positive I have seen a brass adapter to make an "old style" tank hook up to a "newer" appliance. Without the screwy gauge or anything. Just brass with proper threads on each end.

Not to hijack the thread....Ok maybe I am. The only propane tanks I have will not attach to my turkey fryer. Yes they are old tanks and no I do not take them into town to fill but fill them myself off a 1000 gallon tank I have filled once a year.

Does this mean I am going to have to buy one of those silly durn new tanks.

I work for a propane company. We retrofit old tanks with the new valves for $17.00. Check with your local propane retailer.

Latest posts

Back