Low (lager temp) cider fermentation ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just listened to the Cider Revisited podcast from the Jamil Show where they had a renowned cider maker on the show. He mentioned fermenting in the upper 30's / low 40's for a really nice cider. Less loss of aromatics and a cleaner fermentation they way he told it. However, it takes a long time.

Anyone ferment this low? I just picked up my cider today and I'm planning to use EC-1118 and WLP775 for two different batches.

I have a friend who does this. He fills a 50gal whiskey barrel in Mid Nov, puts it in a cold storage shed with a blowoff tube and lets it sit until March and ferment with the natural yeast. It tastes awesome.

That's low for a fermentation. I wonder what yeast they used.
I ferment Blueberry wine using EC-1118 in the low 60's and it usually takes
a few months to ferment out.

I read something about this in either BYO or Zym but there was only a blurb made by someone. I have been trying to find more info about it but have had little luck. I would imagine many yeasts would still work at this temp but lagers may have the best chance? (or some of the wild yeasts as mentioned earlier) I would love to hear/read more about this if anyone has more info to link/post.

There is a "Cider Rules the House" article in the Sept/Oct 2010 Zymurgy. There's one sentence that talks about hearsay the author heard. Frankly, the article is disappointing, as was the first Jamil Show on cider. Other than the "Cider Revisited" Jamil Show, the general attitude is pretty lazy and a bit too unscientific for my taste.

From Zymurgy:
I have heard that some cidermakers ferment their must at lager temperatures for a slower fermentation - blowing off fewer aromatics due to lower CO2 production, which results in better flavor and aroma

That's low for a fermentation. I wonder what yeast they used.
I ferment Blueberry wine using EC-1118 in the low 60's and it usually takes
a few months to ferment out.

Depending on the source, EC-1118 will go as low as 45F or 50F. The long ferment makes sense at those temps. I'm still not sure if WLP775 will go that low however.

There is a "Cider Rules the House" article in the Sept/Oct 2010 Zymurgy. There's one sentence that talks about hearsay the author heard. Frankly, the article is disappointing, as was the first Jamil Show on cider. Other than the "Cider Revisited" Jamil Show, the general attitude is pretty lazy and a bit too unscientific for my taste.

From Zymurgy:

That is what I was talking about...

I agree with bolts.

I feel like they cover the cider subject matter b/c others are interested in it. Oh well. Maybe someone else will come on the scene that has more interest and give more scientific info.

Back