Newbie Hop Grower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
Hello

This is my first year growing hops and I have a few questions of course :drunk:

I will eventually plant in the ground but I am thinking that for starters it may be best to use buckets or tubs this year. I have moved in the past year and I don't have an established garden area yet so this would be the easiest start for me.

I have several varieties to work with.
Cascade,
Fuggle,
Willimette
Nugget.

I live in Maine the weather this spring is amazing. I have no time to waste and was planning a weekend if brewing and planting.

Any ideas, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Large buckets work for many. Holes for drainage in bottom, then stones then good soil all the way to the top.
Plant one type per bucket/container. or you will never be able to tell what is growing where.
Make some poles 16' 2x6's ripped with and X top for 4 climbing lines would be fine as long as you tie the pole so that wind doesn't blow it down.

Cheap and easy first year start.

Anyone know where i can find 16gal or large rubbermaid tubs fora good price.
Walmart? Target? HD? Lowes?

Thanks

If you have a nursery close ask them if they would be willing to sell you a few of their larger "pots" that they plant trees and shrubs in. I got a couple 25 gal "pots" that had holes in the bottom and around the sides of the bottom for $3 a piece! Worked like a charm for the first year...but my hops did grow out through the holes and into the ground so be aware of that! (you can see some pics in my gallery)

If you have a nursery close ask them if they would be willing to sell you a few of their larger "pots" that they plant trees and shrubs in. I got a couple 25 gal "pots" that had holes in the bottom and around the sides of the bottom for $3 a piece! Worked like a charm for the first year...but my hops did grow out through the holes and into the ground so be aware of that! (you can see some pics in my gallery)

Great idea I will stop by today and see what they have :)

I have found that starting rhizomes indoors in a 1-2 gallon pot and transplanting into the garden around Memorial Day gives me good results

This would give your hops a head start and give you extra time to prepare a garden space. Harden off before planting as you would tomatoes or peppers.

Spring has been amazing here in the great white north as well, but we have snow flurries in the weekend forecast :mad:

Great idea I will stop by today and see what they have :)

I happened to stop in for some potting soil and saw a bunch of them stacked next to the main building. They had bigger ones that were about 100 gal!!! but said they couldnt sell those to me :) I mean, they were massive...probably 4 feet wide and 2-3 feet deep!

Latest posts

Back