WORST Home Brew Store experience ever!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is evident you are juniors when it comes to a home brewing haberdashery that doesn't post prices. The owner can change prices at random, depending on the person on the other side of the counter. An old saying goes, "if you have to ask price, you can't afford it." Since, hombrewers are tight wads like golfers, some being so tight that if one hop pellet fell into the cats litter box, they'd dig it out and use it. The no pricing method opens the door for tight wad low balling negotiations. If the shop is owned by a Greek or Jew, if you don't haggle with them you will lose their respect. They are quick to pick up on when a junior's world is centered around the keyboard. They become the cat playing with the mouse. They are naturals.

What on earth is this babble????

Wharrgarbl.jpg

Lmao. I couldn't follow it either. Btw all the prices r set in their system just not stamped on the product

Quick update to Hearts Homebrew!

Same type of experience. Will never visit again. As a matter of fact, my wife (by the way is very tolerant woman. Face it, she married me!) will never buy, shop or walk anywhere near there either. The owner isn't a bad guy, I just don't think he likes people at all. Hence the mail order only kind of guy. Because of that I won't even mail order from him either. There are too many other choices of stores and experts who have no issues in giving advice and being overall nice individuals.

Bottled and drinking: IPA
Fermenting: Belgium Trippel
Fermenting: Chocolate/Coffee Imperial Porter

I've just returned home from the worst LHBS experience of my life. I am so upset I had to calm myself down for 10 minutes before writing this. NEVER in my life have I been treated so callously by any store owner. I will give a brief description now of what happened.

I live in Orlando and Heartshomebrew.com (my LHBS) is the only LHBS one I know of around here. I've been in there about 10 times and the man knows my face I'm sure of it. Today I walked into the store and here went my conversation with the owner.

Me: "Hey buddy I'd like to talk to you about your Brown Ale recipe"

Owner: "OK"

Me: "I wanted to kick it up a notch and add a pound of honey. What do you
think?"

Owner: "I think it will be too sweet"

Me: "Yea I thought I would add some more hops to balance this out. Do you think that would work?"

Owner: "You have to look that kind of stuff up on your own. We dont give recipe advice here."

---------------------------BREAK-----------------------------------

This was their own recipe BTW and on the wall they have nothing but awards, ribbons, and trophies for their brews. The guy knows how to give recipe advice.

--------------------------BACK TO CONVERSATION--------------

Me: "Isn't that what these stores are supposed to be all about, helping your customers brew beer?"

Owner: "We are mostly mail order so we don't care about local business."

Me: "Are you saying you dont care about making your customers happy and helping them out"

Owner: "Our local ones, nope. Thats not the kind of business we're in."

Me: "Well buddy you just lost a local one."

Owner: "Ok see ya"

I will stop here because anyone reading this should at this point be as flabbergasted as I am. I've never once in my LIFE heard a store owner say he didnt care about his local customers. This place is set up for retail for sure. Its not like I was walking into a garage were he just ships his supplies out from.

To speak to someone like that, especially someone who you know is a beginner in the awesome hobby of homebrewing, is just downright evil and cruel. If it was might first time in there I would probably be pretty heart broken and not even try to make beer. As it is now I know I can order supplies from online stores and continue my hobby.

This is a vent post but also one to get you'alls thoughts.

Has anyone had experiences like this at their LHBS?

Thoughts please, to make me feel better and not go hurt somebody...

It is evident you are juniors when it comes to a home brewing haberdashery that doesn't post prices. The owner can change prices at random, depending on the person on the other side of the counter. An old saying goes, "if you have to ask price, you can't afford it." Since, hombrewers are tight wads like golfers, some being so tight that if one hop pellet fell into the cats litter box, they'd dig it out and use it. The no pricing method opens the door for tight wad low balling negotiations. If you don't haggle with them you will lose their respect. They are quick to pick up on when a junior's world is centered around the keyboard. They become the cat playing with the mouse. They are naturals.

Lol....still made me chuckle!

I do find myself making sure every pellet does get out of the bag though😜

Wasn't an absolutely horrible experience but before my local LHBS opened up 10 months ago I had to travel 45-60 minutes to one of two stores. One was in Lexington, and I stopped in at 5pm three different times. I was either the only customer or one of two... Not once did I get an employee asking me "Can I help you? Are you looking for anything specific?" so I left after 15-20 minutes of browsing. The third and final time I went to the only worker there and asked about grain prices and she said "I don't sell that, the owner does. He'll be back in the morning."

Ok then...

I read that post above, while it sucks, I'd bet that you'd get bad advice. He had no passion about brewing. It's just a job.

I would not labor over the fact that he's an ass.

If they rely on internet business, I'd write negative posts on their website or blog.

If I was really feeling dickish, I'd buy 10 internet addresses, creating names similar to theirs then make websites saying how they suck.

See how they like shiz.

I read that post above, while it sucks, I'd bet that you'd get bad advice. He had no passion about brewing. It's just a job.

I would not labor over the fact that he's an ass.

If they rely on internet business, I'd write negative posts on their website or blog.

If I was really feeling dickish, I'd buy 10 internet addresses, creating names similar to theirs then make websites saying how they suck.

See how they like shiz.

Nah, just post a review on this site. It'll rocket to the top of the Google search results in a few hours.

Wasn't an absolutely horrible experience but before my local LHBS opened up 10 months ago I had to travel 45-60 minutes to one of two stores. One was in Lexington, and I stopped in at 5pm three different times. I was either the only customer or one of two... Not once did I get an employee asking me "Can I help you? Are you looking for anything specific?" so I left after 15-20 minutes of browsing. The third and final time I went to the only worker there and asked about grain prices and she said "I don't sell that, the owner does. He'll be back in the morning."

Ok then...

Sounds like heaven to me. I can't stand shop clerks that won't leave me alone.

Wow - that's awful. My local shop has always been good to me. I bought my starter kit there and they included a class for rookie brewers, which I'm very glad I attended. I learned a lot. Sure, you can read and watch youtube, but seeing and doing things first hand made me a lot more confident when I did my first batch on my own. Sorry it was so bad. That being said, on the online stuff, I've had nothing but GOOD EXPERIENCES with both Northern Brewer and Adventures in Home Brewing. Give them your money. They don't mind you taking up their time.

That being said, on the online stuff, I've had nothing but GOOD EXPERIENCES with both Northern Brewer and Adventures in Home Brewing. Give them your money. They don't mind you taking up their time.

AIH people are great I've been the Detriot shop a few times now and every time I visit they are friendly, answer all my questions, the prices are way below anyone else (cept maybe Label Peelers when they have sales) and they know what they are talking about.

We have 5 shops within a 60 min drive, so pretty lucky; one in particular they are too snooty to bother with you, one they are so big they just want you in and out fast, one they have great customer service and good prices just an hour away (though I'm in the area a lot), one the owner knows what he is doing and talking about but is prices are too high, and the last they are way too far to bother and the owner told me to use frozen yeast (though I questioned it a few times)... I tried it and it ended up being the only beer I've dumped so far. I mostly just wait for the one to have a sale and buy as much as I can so I only have to get bare essentials from the various other places.

While my experience was not nearly that bad...

We lived in Las Vegas for a little over a year and one of the homebrew stores out there is called "Vegas Homebrew."

We went during a Seattle Seahawks game. The owner is a HUGE Seahawks fan apparently because he didn't give us a ton of attention. I don't remember the question I asked, but he was half heartedly answering not removing his eyes from the TV. Then, mid-sentance... WOOOO!!! <Arms in the air> (Seahawks scored). It kind of scared me because my back was to the game. I don't even remember if he answered my question.

I guess I would say.. if you live in Las Vegas give this guy a shot, but also give U Bottle it a shot. They were very helpful at U Bottle it.

Oh, and don't go to Vegas Homebrew during a Seahawks game.

Well i was visiting a friend of mine up in cold ass Michigan and i visited Adventures In Hombrewing (http://www.homebrewing.org/). They were OVERLY friendly more then willing to help asked me several times if i needed help finding things, needed advise etc.. i went to the counter and said "will ya ship to Jersey..?" NOTE: Not knowing they were as big as they are...!!! "Yep.." was the reply and they gave me a business card. they sated that over 75% of their business is online and they had no issues with walk ins.

I have to give props to my LHBS.. Keg and Barrel (www.kegandbarrelhomebrewsupply.com) they have grown recently and are more then willing to assist in ANYTHING i need. I have gone in just to BS and Chat.. and they answered any questions i have had.

If the OP was me..... i would have never gone back after that experience. thats absolutely obsurd to treat YOUR potential income that way. Good luck to those down in ORlando area.. !!!

Reading this, I'm kinda glad the sales guy shadowed me and decided to describe every kit on the shelf and didn't understand why I would want to go BIAB rather than stick to extract kits. He was just trying to help, but he didn't understand that I'm on HBT, which is like an flippin' encyclopedia of brewing knowledge. If I didn't think I had a handle on the process, I'd stick to extract...but I have you's guys.

Unbelievable! I have been a patron at Hearts Home Brew for 3 years, met both owners and I am convinced y'all must be talking about some other place. Every time I go there they call me by name, we chat amiably, I can ask advice and get it. So, I really think like most things in life, we get out what we put in. One of the owners is super knowledgeable and very experienced home brewer and certified beer judge and one of the charter members of the local homebrew club. He has had to give most of that up due to his business. It is a small place that is jammed to the rafters with stock. If there is more than one person in there or if they are filling orders, it gets a little stressful since they are never there together. That one guy has to keep track of all that's going on. Recently, I casually mentioned to them that I was interested in experimenting with a yeast they don't carry, he immediately offered to special order it in time for my brew day. I guess a good tip for y'all is to go on their website, put together your order and set it for local pickup and pay. Your order will be bagged and waiting for you on the day you specify, even if it is later today!

Back