Adding fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frost

Reaction score
I made a mead on valentines day with champagne yeast. The blueberries have come in and I wanna add about 15 pounds for flavoring before carbonating/bottling.

Do I need to do anything to sanitize/sterilize the blueberries or should I just mash and rack on top of them?

I also used Pastuer Champagne yeast. Further reading has said that it's not used for sparkling wines. Do you foresee any downside to carbonating it naturally in the bottle?

I made some strawberry mead (we will see how it turns out) and when I added my strawberries, I didn't sanitize them at all. I added them to the secondary and I believe that the ABV was so high that most things could not grow in it. So I would say just rack your mead on top of it! Some more experienced people can correct me if they feel the need to...

I'd freeze them solid & thaw them out twice. This will help to breakdown the cell walls & allow you to get more juice/flavour out of them. I'd also hit those berries with campden tabs. Regards, GF.

I'd freeze them solid & thaw them out twice. This will help to breakdown the cell walls & allow you to get more juice/flavour out of them. I'd also hit those berries with campden tabs. Regards, GF.

I'd also freeze them, then let them thaw. Then, I'd dissolve a campden tablet in 1/2 cup of water and pour that over the berries and let it sit overnight before adding them to my mead. I'd put them in the carboy, and then rack the mead into it.

The yeast you used is perfectly fine.

Sorry to bump this thread again but how long would you recommend I age this on the fruit? Thanks in advance.

I've left mead on fruit for as long as 6 months; but I'd say leave it on those berries for a month, maybe 2. Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back