Homemade Mash Paddle Pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to Brewdoc22 and everyone else in this thread for giving me info to use on my paddle. I decided to get a little fancy and put my name in it. :mug:

IMG_0585.jpg

All of these mash paddles have motivated me. I bought the maple paddle from a restaurant supply store several years ago. I don't remember how much it cost but it was pretty cheap. I thought about lots of designs after following this thread and finally decided to pay tribute to my favorite rugby team. Go All Blacks!

10-2012 005.jpg

KingKlong, did you use a scroll saw or router to letter your paddle? Nice work.

I drilled holes with forstner bits and connected them with a jig saw. Most of them were small ones. I did four in the K for instance. Same with the N. The O was one of the biggest bits in the set, and I had to step up sizes to get to it cuz the drill press didn't have enough hp to turn it through the wood.

And thanks for the compliment.

At work. I work for a company that manufactures custom commercial s/s kitchen equipment. Comes in handy when I need something for the home brewery :)

I could do this, but I'd be afraid it would cause me to lose my job. I drew my paddle in inventor. It would have cut quickly. There are cameras everywhere though. I also just like the look of the wood.

I decided I needed a replacement for the plastic spoon that came in my kit. Here's what I came up with:

20130224_183327_zps94ade8da.jpg

20130224_183312_zps9cd53d4f.jpg

It's about 36" long. I only made the paddle portion 8" because I mash in a 10 gallon cooler. Not sure I would need anything bigger. The wood is bear claw maple that I've had for years. The pictures don't do the wood justice. I left it naked and wiped it with water for the pics. I thought this would be a perfect use for it. What do you think?

Just wanted to share mine. A buddy got the wood from some downed black walnut trees.

That is my favorite one I've seen yet! Beautiful piece of wood. It looks full of character like it has its own personality. Also completely functional, probably more so than some of those fancy laser cut paddles. You have to remember the point of using the paddle is thoroughly mix the grains and break up the dough balls and some of those laser cut ones look nice on the brewery wall but the openings in the design don't lend themselves well to the task required. Yours is simple and has a git-er-done attitude.

WELL DONE!

That is my favorite one I've seen yet! Beautiful piece of wood. It looks full of character like it has its own personality. Also completely functional, probably more so than some of those fancy laser cut paddles. You have to remember the point of using the paddle is thoroughly mix the grains and break up the dough balls and some of those laser cut ones look nice on the brewery wall but the openings in the design don't lend themselves well to the task required. Yours is simple and has a git-er-done attitude.

WELL DONE!

I agree, it looks great!

But if it's not symmetric then it will try to turn in your hand when you mix the mash.

So I've been thinking if making my mash paddle. The ol plastic spoon sucks. Can I use a reg 2 by 4? Prolly a stupid question. If not what kinda wood should I use? Thx everyone for the answers. Cheers everyone

So I've been thinking if making my mash paddle. The ol plastic spoon sucks. Can I use a reg 2 by 4? Prolly a stupid question. If not what kinda wood should I use? Thx everyone for the answers. Cheers everyone

I used a 1x4 maple, but I'm sure a 2x4 will work, also oak.

you want to use a hardwood, and I wouldn't use pressure-treated.

Construction lumber is made of pine. It is a softwood with a very loose grain. It does not do well when it gets wet repeatedly. That's why they use green-treat lumber in exposed places and you certainly don't want to use that in your beer! Your time would be better spent on a nice piece of hardwood. Your local lowes or home depot should have 1x4 pieces of various hardwood (maple, oak, walnut) in 3 or 4 foot pieces that are reasonably priced. They have nicer grain and will last a long time. Once you make the paddle finish it with some mineral oil or butchers block oil (some skip this step) and let it dry before you brew. I usually oil mine after the brew day is over so it is ready for the next time.

Good luck!

made mine a while ago. pretty fun little project.
I've since added volume marks so I can use it to measure volume in my kettles as well.
306637_10151279115487139_941273121_n.jpg

bierandbikes said:
BRplatz, did you just use a torch to "toast" your paddle? Looks nice.

Yup I just have a MAPP/Propane torch and just tried to burn the insides enough to be black, trying to avoid the outside, then sanded it back down.

40, 120, then 240 grit. Might do more but I think it's plenty smooth

Please report back after using your paddle. I've noticed that if I don't oil mine, or if its been a while, the grain will swell a bit. I'm curious if the torched spots will be more sealed. I may just make another paddle and give it a light toasting with the torch and then sand it and see how it works.

Will do, my next brew is an imperial stout so if a little smoked oak flavor is imparted I won't mind haha

Latest posts

Back