way too anxious..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kplum

Reaction score
Well tonight is 7 days from brewing my first brew.. I went ahead and siphoned it to my secondary.. I was very curious on what my future German Oktoberfest smelled like. It smelled like pure greatness.. I wanted to put a frosty mug on the other end of the siphon.. I witheld myself and made sure every last drop got to the secondary.. Ahhh.. It was a great moment.. I just wanted to share this one moment with you guys.. Most of you have already been where I am now.. Thanks for helping me out guys.. I do appreciate it..

In my brews, I always fill a bottle and drink it, just to get a sense of the taste. But nothing beats giving a friend/neighbor a beer, having them say "damn thats good," then replying "I MADE IT."!!!!

yeah bra, just don't get discouraged if the first one you taste isnt just "right" trust me they get better and better. i always taste a warm one a week after bottling. then at 2 weeks i chill one and taste. i was actually told to taste my beers, 1 every week. you learn alot that way! the taste keeps blending more and more as the weeks go. there ALWAYS the best about a month old IMO. (depending on abv and if you used fruits or not) but all and all Good Luck and Keep listening to the cats on this forum. they got alot of real veterans that can give you solid advice. i'm no expert! just thought i would pass a alittle love ! Peace Bro- Lee

yeah bra, just don't get discouraged if the first one you taste isnt just "right" trust me they get better and better. i always taste a warm one a week after bottling. then at 2 weeks i chill one and taste. i was actually told to taste my beers, 1 every week. you learn alot that way! the taste keeps blending more and more as the weeks go. there ALWAYS the best about a month old IMO. (depending on abv and if you used fruits or not) but all and all Good Luck and Keep listening to the cats on this forum. they got alot of real veterans that can give you solid advice. i'm no expert! just thought i would pass a alittle love ! Peace Bro- Lee

I couldn't have said it better myself!

:mug:

you know what? I think I will try having one a week at a time after bottling.. that does sound like a good way to learn what the beer taste like it different stages.. something else to look forward to.. Just wanting to bottle on Dec 2. so that I might get to take some to the family on x-mas.. Thanks for the tip..

Kplum - Welcome to the sickness, I mean homebrewing.
You will see dramatic improvements in taste after a couple weeks of conditioning in the bottles.
I would also point out, you do want to take a small sample to get a hydrometer reading, then NEVER pour it back, you must taste it for quality control.
If you don't have a hydrometer, you need to get one until your such a master you know everything. But for me its just a good excuse to do quality control tastings.

you know what? I think I will try having one a week at a time after bottling.. that does sound like a good way to learn what the beer taste like it different stages.. something else to look forward to.. Just wanting to bottle on Dec 2. so that I might get to take some to the family on x-mas.. Thanks for the tip..

Just don't JUDGE it until after 3 or more weeks in the bottle...Don't panic and start an is my beer ruined thread either, becasue it is either flat and or it taste funny. It will be flat and taste funny for a awhile, that's part of the bottle conditioning process.

I just racked my "Oktoberfest" (I say that because it was an OF recipe that I used Ale yeast for, instead of lager yeast) into the secondary Sunday night, and it smelled like heaven. You know that happy place from Happy Gilmore? You know Julie Bowen carrying the pitchers of beer? I imagine that beer smelled like mine...

It's actually quite clear now, as I left it alone for 14 days in the primary, but I'll probably give it until next Sunday before bottling it. Then let's see, it should be ready to go just before Christmas! I can give a few bottles away for presents. :) Oh man, I can't wait.

I just racked my "Oktoberfest" (I say that because it was an OF recipe that I used Ale yeast for, instead of lager yeast) into the secondary Sunday night, and it smelled like heaven. You know that happy place from Happy Gilmore? You know Julie Bowen carrying the pitchers of beer? I imagine that beer smelled like mine...

It's actually quite clear now, as I left it alone for 14 days in the primary, but I'll probably give it until next Sunday before bottling it. Then let's see, it should be ready to go just before Christmas! I can give a few bottles away for presents. :) Oh man, I can't wait.

I am sure it was close to the same as yours.. I have decided to bottle on the 3rd of Dec. which gives it one week primary, two weeks secondary + day or so.. I am hoping that three weeks into the bottle will be good, so I can have a few on Christmas.. And of course pass out a few..

Back