fermenting Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluelou6

Reaction score
What is the best way to keep my carboy warm if I put it in the garage? It is a bit cold here, about 45 F, and it gets colder at night. I don't have the option of adding a second fridge right now. Any ideas on how I can keep it fairly consistent at 60-65 F?

I've been thinking about putting my carboy in the garage, which also gets very cold at night. I was thinking about putting it into a garbage can or something, filling it up with water to the neck of the carboy, then sticking an aquarium heater in there. Anyone ever tried this? Could be a cheap way to keep the temps at a fairly stable spot.

jacobyhale said:
I've been thinking about putting my carboy in the garage, which also gets very cold at night. I was thinking about putting it into a garbage can or something, filling it up with water to the neck of the carboy, then sticking an aquarium heater in there. Anyone ever tried this? Could be a cheap way to keep the temps at a fairly stable spot.

While I haven't tried that method, I've seen it recommended often. I'll bet it will work.

My solution is to use a heating pad (I got mine at walgreen's for $12), strap it to the bucket with an old belt and cover the whole thing with an old sweatshirt. I was lagering and kept it in the 50s on the low setting (ambient was about 40) and on the middle setting it got to 60. I'll bet the the high setting would keep it a toasty 70 or so.

jacobyhale said:

This would work well. probably don't even need to fill past the halfway mark, since fermentation will mix the warmer bottom with the cooler top.

I'd suggest a fully immersible, shatter proof aquarium heater. these have an auto shutoff so if you yank it out of the water while its plugged in, it won't self destruct.

Visi-therm and Ebo-Jager would be two names to look for.

I'd consider this less of a fire hazzard than a heating pad under a trashcan like some might suggest.

Back