Simcoe and Amarillo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rack04

Reaction score
I have a bunch of simcoe and amarillo that I would like to start using. Any tips on a recipe using both of the hops? Thanks.

Northern Brewer sells a Session Ale that uses 6 # Pilsner Extract, 3 oz Simcoe and BRY 97 yeast.
A friend of mine made a phenomenal SMASH ale using Marris Otter and Citra. I have heard that Amarillo is very similar and some guys have used it in the place of Citra.
If you do a google search for "Amarillo Recipe" or "Simcoe Recipe" you'll get a lot of hits.
I'm thinking that Simcoe and Amarillo for bittering and some Cascade for aroma would be the hop plan for a delicious big hoppy American Pale Ale.

both are great varieties. use a copious amount late in the boil/flameout/dryhop and you can't go wrong. maybe use a simple IPA or pale ale base recipe and substitue your hops in

Make an IPA! Simcoe for bittering, maybe a half ounce of each around 20 minutes, then 1.5-2 ounces of each at flameout, chill to 180 degrees and steep for 20 minutes, then dry hop with 1.5 ounces of each. If you could get some Centennial or Cascade they would go great with them as a flameout or dry hop addition to sub for some of the Simcoe and Amarillo. I've made a few IPAs similar to this and they are fantastic! Good luck!

I have a decent hopslam clone that uses a fair amount of both of those. Haven't posted it here because I've only made it once and still want to fine tune the color, malt bill and mash schedule. Pm if interested.

I made a 'Simarillo' Pale One of my better brews. I went heavier on the Amarillo, but the Simcoe still kinda overpowered

Hop Sched I used for 5 gal:

@30 - 1 oz Simcoe
@10 - 1 oz Simcoe
@10 - 2 oz Amarillo
@0 - 1 oz Amarillo
DH - 2 oz Amarillo
DH - 1 oz Simcoe

My favorite hop combination, citrusy and piney at the same time. Buy a Stone Sublimely Self Righteous and you will see a great example. Can't go wrong, I have done that recipe a few times, really simple. It uses Chinook for bittering but I think you could use Magnum or any clean bittering cause I mainly tasted the Simcoe and Amarillo.

Here is what I did.

Sublimely SR Clone

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Imperial IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 3 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5 gallons
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.076
Final Gravity: 1.018
ABV (standard): 7.63%
IBU (rager): 81.64
SRM (morey): 28.88

FERMENTABLES:
7.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (90.4%)
0.4 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (4.8%)
0.4 lb - German - De-Husked Caraf III (4.8%)

HOPS:
0.35 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 35.01
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 20.54
1 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 26.09
0.5 oz - Amarillo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 60 days
0.5 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Dry Hop for 60 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 154 F, Time: 75 min, Amount: 16 qt

YEAST:
White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001
@ 66F

If you don't like "Black IPA" Eliminate the Carafa and build your own IPA around the concept.
Hope that helps.

Back