I have not sanitized any thing for the last 4 months!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's so easy to sanitize with a spray bottle of star-san that I don't understand why you wouldn't.[/QUOTE]

Orangehero makes an excellent point here. Sanitizing is fast, cheap, and easy (kinda like my sister). The costs in terms of time and expense is minimal, and the risk and costs of an infection is considerable.

Also, Duran Duran also gave me the creeps. So did Boy George.

I didn't see the movie, but I found the book interesting.
And someone should beat Yentil. I would, but it's too far to drive.
And while I'll keep sanitising, your results are interesting.
If anyone needs more outcry, my latest batch is fermenting in a pot with no airlock, just a lid. And it's in the basement with spiders.

I've been wanting to do an open bucket ferment on a Saison in my basement. we've got these to keep the spiders out.

centepede.jpg

This is just completely false.

From How To Brew:

Clean - To be free from dirt, stain, or foreign matter.
Sanitize - To kill/reduce spoiling microorganisms to negligible levels.
Sterilize - To eliminate all forms of life, especially microorganisms, either by chemical or physical means.

Soaps only clean.

Soap does kill spoiling microorganisms to negligible levels. Trust me. I used to work in a microbiology lab that worked on antibiotics.

That and they creep the hell out of me. I kill at least a couple a week in my house.

they creep the hell out of me as well. they look like something from that movie Evolution. but they eat everything else that tries to crawl in my basement. and then our cats kill them.:rockin:

Jip, now it all makes sense!!!!looks like things that side of the "pond" works a bit different!!!
I would also want to spray every thing with industrial strength chemicals if this was in my house!!!

DAMIT!!

Edit:
You should really speak to Monsanto to keep their genetic stuff locked up.....tight ;)

I've been lenient with sanitation and have been pitching on top of yeast cakes without problems - until yesterday. Was just about to get ready to bottle when I saw my first infected beer. I blame the dry hop sack, as the wort was in the fermenter for two weeks without any signs of infection until I threw in the hops.

I bottled it and will now scrub everything clean as it can be.

Back