Inconsistent Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FluffyMuffins

Reaction score
Will an inconsistent temperature during fermentation ruin my beer? I'm doing my rye IPA now and the temperature has fluctuated between about 55 and 70 degrees. I gave it a taste after racking it to the secondary and it didn't taste TOO off, but there was something off about it I think. I'm hoping that will go away after kegging.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

Fluctuations in fermentation temperature will certainly stress the yeast a bit and add off flavors. That may be what you tasted. I doubt the temperature of your fermenting beer actually fluctuated as much as the ambient temperature, though.

So do you think I'm good? I'm dry hoping, will that maybe mask some of the off flavors?

I can't really say. It depends on when the fluctuations happened, and it also depends on the actual fluctuation in the liquid's temperature. Yes dry hopping will probably hide some off flavors.

also it depends a lot on the yeast. some flocculate like a cement shoe if the temp drops very much. cal ale yeast on the other hand seems a bit more resilient.

Back