Starter - how long is it good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrewBrew

Reaction score
I started a starter last night, and was planning on brewing tonight, but had something come up. How long is too long when it comes to a starter?? Could I still brew another day or two down the road (a total of 48-72 hours after the starter was made)? or is that too long?

FrewBrew said:
I started a starter last night, and was planning on brewing tonight, but had something come up. How long is too long when it comes to a starter?? Could I still brew another day or two down the road (a total of 48-72 hours after the starter was made)? or is that too long?
Depends on how your starter is doing...if it's at full krauzen right now, then some would pitch today, but some wait until tomorrow anyway. If your starter hasn't really gotten going, then waiting until tomorrow is for the best anyway.

I did a starter last night, it's going pretty well, and I'll probably brew later today, but if I get too drunk and have to wait til tomorrow, that OK too. If I get too drunk again tomorrow, then I might put it in the fridge until a few hours before it's time to brew.

I was gonna ask the same question. I made a mead starter on Sunday the 20th. I was going to use it 24 to 48 hours later. Because of a very hectic work week I never got my batch of mead going. Now its the 24th Thanksgiving. I'll be away all day. So the soonest I can get my batch started is tomorrow after work.

I really don't see why I couldn't use it, i mean alot of people use old yeat cakes from the bottom of thier fermenters. Thats like the same type of thing right?

Ed_Savage said:
I was gonna ask the same question. I made a mead starter on Sunday the 20th. I was going to use it 24 to 48 hours later. Because of a very hectic work week I never got my batch of mead going. Now its the 24th Thanksgiving. I'll be away all day. So the soonest I can get my batch started is tomorrow after work.

I really don't see why I couldn't use it, i mean alot of people use old yeat cakes from the bottom of thier fermenters. Thats like the same type of thing right?

When people use old Yeast cakes, they ususally keep them active by adding nutrients from time to time.

Since my yeast is at full krausen right now, I'm going to cancel my other plans and brew tonight.

well the starter is still bubbling a buble every couple of seconds. I made it with 1 pound of honey, 1 tsp of yeast energiser, 1 tsp of yeast nutrient, and 30 seconds of pure oxygen with my oxy stone. I can't see how big the cake is because the growler glass is too dark.

Ed, if it's going to be a day or two, put it in the fridge and the yeast will go dormant. Pull out 10 hours or so before you are going to pitch it and add some more honey to the mix.

It should get going quick and you can pitch it same day.

it's best to pitch at full kraeusen, but as others have said, chunk it in the fridge and take ot out a good 8-10 hours before you pitch. kinda like using a large vial of white lab's yeast.

Back