Armadillo Run Road Kill Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGVT

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days 65 degrees
Tasting Notes
This was a tasty beer. Not fat tire, but a good red ale.
I started this off trying to make a Fat Tire clone but my first attempt was too hoppy. I changed the hops (to what I happened to have on hand) and came up with something that is certainly not Fat Tire but is close enough for the Fat Tire drinkers and is a very good, well balanced beer. I have made it a few times and it is always a hit with everyone that tries it.

8 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row)
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
8.0 oz Munich Malt 30
4.0 oz Biscuit Malt
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
4.0 oz Victory Malt
0.75 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 12.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 5.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 1.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

Mash at 152* for one hour

photo-7.jpg

5.25 gallons + or -. I usually don't secondary. I leave it about two weeks at 65 and then cold crash it for a couple of days before I keg (or bottle). It won't hurt it to leave it longer though. I have a batch that I brewed on Jan 23 that I just started to cold crash today. It finished at 1.012. As soon as it clears I'll keg it. I am drinking the hydro sample right now and even flat, it's pretty tasty:D

Bringing the temperature down so that the solids drop out of suspension and the beer clears. I leave it at 65 degrees for a couple of weeks then before I keg or bottle it I bring the temp down to about 35 or so for a couple of days until it clears (or until I get around to taking care of it). If you bottle you can still prime and bottle condition. There is still plenty of yeast in suspension.

Back