4 week primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgraham602

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm making the Surly Bender Clone from NB. It recommends doing a 1-2 week primary and 2-4 week secondary. Lately I have stopped doing a secondary. I don't really see any advantage. I'm thinking a 3 week primary might be my route. 4 weeks on primary sounds a bit long. Any other "non-secondary" brewers have any suggestions on primary length? I once left a pale mild in primary for 4.5 weeks (i forgot about it in a closet). It turned out to be one of the best beers I ever made.

The time between 3 and 4 weeks in a primary is something that will not make a difference.

as you'll read often in this forum regarding primary only: 3 weeks minimum. more time if you have it to kill. i routinely do 3 weeks for lower gravity stuff and 4+ for higher gravity 1.060+
good brewing!

as you'll read often in this forum regarding primary only: 3 weeks minimum.

Meh... I don't always abide by this. I do my low gravity Bitters in 10 days grain to glass (kegs, obvi). If the fermentation is done, it's done. Do a lot of beers benefit from bulk aging on the yeast cake? Yes. But it is not a hard and fast rule. Sometimes you can pull it when it's done.

If youre not under any time constraints, let it sit for 4, however I think the difference between 3 and 4 is minimal. I have however noticed that the flavor develops in the kegged. It seems that a 3 week primary and 3 weeks in the keg are the best mix for me. Under time constraints Ive made it in as quick as 2 primary, 1-2 keg.

I have an amber that i just brewed Sunday that Ill be fermenting for about 17 days, cold crashing a day or two, in the keg for a week, and will be ready to drink Thanksgiving. It wont be at its prime, but it will be darn good!!

Latest posts

Back