Frozen Apricots/canned apricots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jknapp12105

Reaction score
What do y'all think would be better to use? Frozen or Canned Apricots and how much should be used in a 5 gal batch?

For what it's worth, I used apricot purée in a recent apricot wheat and like the way it turned out. I just bought a can of Vinter's from Austin Homebrew to use with a wheat kit.

That said, I'd definitely be curious to try a new way of brewing the beer with real fruit, too.

What type of beer and when do you planing on adding them? Frozen apricots are going to need to be boiled to sanitize. I have brewed 3 apricot beers now and I prefer use the the extract bottles, prior to bottling/kegging. other methods fail to produce a noticeable apricot flavor and offten just make the beer cloudy. If you want to go the "real fruit" method though I would get the puree and add it to the secondary.

smithn said:
What type of beer and when do you planing on adding them? Frozen apricots are going to need to be boiled to sanitize. I have brewed 3 apricot beers now and I prefer use the the extract bottles, prior to bottling/kegging. other methods fail to produce a noticeable apricot flavor and offten just make the beer cloudy. If you want to go the "real fruit" method though I would get the puree and add it to the secondary.

To add to this, I will say my favorite (Ithaca Apricot Wheat) uses flavoring in their brew. Based on my personal experience with extract in my homebrews, I prefer the real thing for my purposes.

smithn said:

I used canned apricots and puréed them. I am going to let it sit in the Secondary for two weeks and see how it turns out.

Like any good beer it will take time, let us know how it turns out clarity wise. Pick yourself up a bottle of Apricot Extract to drop in prior to bottle or kegging just in case the flavor you want is'nt there

Back