mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprengel

Reaction score
I just brewed my first batch of beer, nut brown ale, and everything seemed to go perfectly. I woke up this morning, day 2, and there appears to be a brownish/greenish substance on the top of the foam fermenting in the carboy. I called the guy from the beer shop and he said this is normal but it kind of looks like mold to me. Any reason to panick?

Thanks for any input.

More than likely it is krausen. It's foamy and coupled with hops and darker malts gets to looking like that. Relax and let it ferment for at least 7 days.

Definition: [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Krausen (kroy-zen) - Used to refer to the foamy head that builds on top of the beer during fermentation. Also an advanced method of priming.[/FONT]

sprengel said:
I just brewed my first batch of beer, nut brown ale, and everything seemed to go perfectly. I woke up this morning, day 2, and there appears to be a brownish/greenish substance on the top of the foam fermenting in the carboy. I called the guy from the beer shop and he said this is normal but it kind of looks like mold to me. Any reason to panick?

Thanks for any input.

Panic. Your beer is fermenting properly and will soon be done and gone and you will need to make more.:D Few things will grow in wort and nothing as quickly as yeast.

Yum! Krusties.. Did you use a kit, or are you kinda winging it? I love to hear how different folks get started brewing.

Good news!

I used a kit, since it is my first time I thought that would be wise. Next time think I will go out on my own, know any good heffeweisen recipes? This is more fun than I thought, I talk to my beer in the morning. My fiance thinks I have finally lost my mind.

She might be right.

sprengel said:
Good news!

I used a kit, since it is my first time I thought that would be wise. Next time think I will go out on my own, know any good heffeweisen recipes? This is more fun than I thought, I talk to my beer in the morning. My fiance thinks I have finally lost my mind.

She might be right.

I love to go down to my cellar and visit with my beer...my gf thinks it's weird, but I just keep telling myself that beer is a living, breathing organism. :)

Back