I'd ask for input on this IPA recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Reaction score
but I already brewed it, so I'll have to let you guys know later on.
I had a bunch of leftover hops in my freezer from previous brews, I've wanted to make an IPA for a while, as its my favorite beer, but I hadn't gotten around to trying a recipe yet. Let me know how you think this is going to turn out:

3.00 lb Light Dry Extract
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L
0.50 lb Vienna Malt
0.95 oz Chinook [12.45%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00%] (30 min)
0.45 oz Cascade [5.50%] (5 min)

Beersmith gives me 66.8 IBUs and 5.6 SRM.

I'm wondering if I should dry hop it as well?

I also found time to try the '07 SN IPA, the new Alaskan IPA in bottles, Pyramid's Thunderhead IPA (meh), and some good ole Deschutes Inversion IPA (yum). Yesterday was IPA day.

Dryhopping will give you the strong aroma qualities that IPAs are known for. I brewed and IPA yesterday, and the recipe calls for dryhopping with Cascade hops in the secondary. I've never done this before, so I'm looking forward to see how it turns out. I'm sure it'll make one hell of a mess in the secondary...but, it sounds necessary, because every IPA recipe I've seen has dryhopping in it.

The recipe looks good to me, let us know how it turns out! And yes, dry hop it.

I just did my first IPA and the sample I tried from primary was good, buck lacking the hop character I wanted. I dry hopped in secondary with an ounce of Cascade pellets bottled when they settled out and it now has a huge hoppy aroma and flavor, just what I was looking for... So yes, dry hop it!

hmm. I have a pack of hops in my freezer that I didn't label. from my first batch, which I lost my recipe of. I'll have to see if I can get it again and find out if they're useful to dryhop with....

Is there a general rule of thumb, if a hop smells good its good to dryhop with? :D I'm hoping to just use up the hops that I have and see how it turns out :)

All depends on the character you are looking for in yout IPA. I mainly make American IPA's that are on the BIG end......7% abv 120-150 IBU and I really love the clean citrus taste of cascade. Since you are dry hopping with it, as long as it smells good to you and will jive with your flavor profile......use it!

Drunkensatyr said:
I mainly make American IPA's that are on the BIG end......7% abv 120-150 IBU and I really love the clean citrus taste of cascade. !

Scratch Superman off the top of the list!

My New Hero!!!

Back