Added bittering hops late

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acoma

Reaction score
I brewed a porter recently and read the instructions wrong and didn't add my bittering hops until 30 minutes left of the boil. I could have literally punched myself and don't know how I read it wrong. I thought it was odd that I have never not had a 60 minute addition and by the time I realized what I done there was only 30 minutes left. In retrospect I should have just started the 60 minutes from when I noticed but I just rolled with it.

A few questions for anyone with knowledge on this:
It's already been fermenting for half a week, should I try to make a tea and add it to the fermentor or just let it ride? If so what would you recommend?

Has anyone ever done this and made a finished product? If so what were the results?

Do you think the beer will come out alright or should I chop it up to a lesson learned?

I'm perplexed I did this but was a little rusty and completely read the directions incorrectly on the hop additions. Thanks for the feed back.

It will be less bitter than the recipe intended. In a porter, I don't think it will be that bad.

I tasted an apa that had all the planned hop additions added at 20 minutes by mistake.It was suprisingly good,alot of folks asked the gent for the recipe.

Back