First Keg up and running??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjdj

Reaction score
I have just tapped my first Keg and I have some questions. I am doing natural carbonation and I do half of the recommended priming sugar as is called for. The keg sat for over 2 weeks to age. My liquid line is 7' long and the gas line is 3' long. I poured the first pint and it doesn't seem to have very much carbonation/head to it. It has CO2 in it if you look through the glass there are bubbles that keep flowing up through it. The regulator is at 15psi. I have played with the pressures every few hours to see what happens now. I am finally up to 30psi and it seems to form a really nice head to the beer. I am just not sure about this though since I read all of these forums about pressures being about 15psi or so. BTW, the beer is a Dortmunder.

The keg probably wasn't carbed enough from the 1/2 the priming solution. I've had better success with closer to 3/4, and at least 3 weeks to prime. No harm though. Set the reg for around 11-12 psi and leave it cold for a week. I bet when you try it next Saturday you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks Hammy! I am going to try more priming sugar the next batch to see what happens. I wish I could brew a 10 gallon batch at a time and then do a test with it. 5 gallons with 1/2 priming sugar and the other 5 gallons with the full amount of priming sugar. I am curious to see what the difference would be.

Back