Brew Stand build (Mini Brew Stand)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Espi

Reaction score
I built it so small because am compensating for a huge penis. yah right.

I started to build my brew stand last weekend and started with some heat shields.

here...

Well I got after the stand today..

I have a very small garage and space is limited so it has to fit in its spot. Thats the main reason for its size. I went with two burners and a single pump for now. My plans are to add a removable shelf that I can sit my mash tun on.

This is going to be a RIMS set up that will change through time I am sure.

Anyway here it is and I will update as I continue.

Here are the pics..

SSPX0066.jpg

SSPX0067.jpg

SSPX0068.jpg

SSPX0069.jpg

SSPX0070.jpg

SSPX0071.jpg

Welds

SSPX0073.jpg

HLT and boil kettle
SSPX0076.jpg

Pump shield that needs more work
SSPX0078.jpg

filthy mig...

I am pretty much winging it so give me ideas. If you suggest it and it sounds good, I will do it.

I need to find a way to mount my water filter.

looks good, nice to see more brewers in the valley of the spun. if you need a hand give me a hollar.

looks good, nice to see more brewers in the valley of the spun. if you need a hand give me a hollar.

come by.... always lookin to meet local brewers.

or i will come to yours. my welder is mobile if you are thinking of doing something like this. learn from my mistakes.

Punch me in the face if you want to but.. i need to work on the bend. it doesn't match the pump body.

I'm the same way about small details like this....but you're keeping some space between the cover and pump, right? Those suckers get hot....

Are you using mild steel or stainless? The pics look like SS. I see your tack welds....did you use MIG/Flux core?

Its mild steel. I used my MIG on gas.

I am looking to keep about an inch distance between the pump and shield.

I need to sit down and fathom out how I am going to mount my water filter setup. With the stand being so small I can't really get away from the heat.

You'd be amazed at how little heat radiates down. If you put the canister in the bottom corner with some clearance for detaching, it should be fine. Just weld the bracket right on. So what are your plans for plumbing? Silicone and QD's? I recommend the camlocks; you won't be disappointed. You can hard plumb the water filter lines.....especially since it'll be much higher pressure....and it'll only be clean water running through. Just be sure to allow the system to naturally drain, i.e. no "U's" or places for water to pool inside.

I haven't really worked on it since.. work really gets in the way of my fun.

I did fart around with the pump shield and got that to where I like it. I bolted that up as well.

I have a ton of welding and grinding to do so I plan on getting after it again this weekend.

I hope to have the stand welded and ground clean and the gas distribution figured out this weekend.

Sorry I am a weekend warrior on this project for now.

You'd be amazed at how little heat radiates down. If you put the canister in the bottom corner with some clearance for detaching, it should be fine. Just weld the bracket right on. So what are your plans for plumbing? Silicone and QD's? I recommend the camlocks; you won't be disappointed. You can hard plumb the water filter lines.....especially since it'll be much higher pressure....and it'll only be clean water running through. Just be sure to allow the system to naturally drain, i.e. no "U's" or places for water to pool inside.

I think I may mount it close to my boil burner and make it removable.. **** I dunno, I got the filter on sale so I grabbed it.

I have silicone hose with QDs right now. They haven't leaked but I wasn't pumping before, just gravity. If I have issues with leaking I will look into either camlocks down the road.

Another aspect I have pretty much been thinking about all day is my RIMS tube and where to mount that. I am thinking of mounting that vertical with the sensor at the top and element on the bottom at the end of the pump mount.

That should be showing up in the mail from www.brewershardware.com this week. Once I have that in my grubby paws I can start to suss that mess out.

Thanks for all the help and good words. Its much appreciated.

This is funny after I stalked you. You do good work man! I would like to check your rig some time. I saw polished stainless and about **** my pants.

This is funny after I stalked you. You do good work man! I would like to check your rig some time. I saw polished stainless and about **** my pants.

My rig is coming along slowly but suredly Klaude is coming over this weekend to help. your welcome to come along if you like just shoot me a PM. and its way less shiney in person, the flash makes it look way better than it actually does :mug:

This is starting to suck... Work has really decided to take the majority of my time. When I get time to futz around in the garage, I end up feeling rushed. Not pleased with where I am at on this project and things will end up being reworked. meh

So enough of my whining.. on to the photos.

I had a package show up early this week. Pretty stoked on this. Looks awesome but adds another side to this build. I have to figure out what element and where to mount this thing.

SSPX0086.jpg

Here is where I am at now... Got the gas manifold kinda figured out. I am not liking the line to the burner or the burner mounts.

SSPX0085.jpg

Another view. I got the burner mounted. I just need to work more on this.. I am still trying to find someone to make me something cool out of stainless.

SSPX0084.jpg

if you can't tell I am a touch pissed, I loaned my welder out to a "friend".. I got it back and it isn't working properly. The wire is binding in the torch somewhere.. meh it is what it is.. just not in the best of moods.

end of my b!tch session.

Again.. anyone have any input I will take it.

looks good so far man. I know your pain. I am still putting the finishing touches on mine (weldless stand) and after a while when things start to bog you down it can get frustrating. Just repeat to yourself "This will be so much better than gravity..."

Looks great Espi! This is the kind of brewstand I've been thinking about building due to my limited garage space. I was thinking about doing a pole off the back with a platform to hold my mash tun up above the kettle (not sure if that's feasible with the weight) to gravity feed the boil kettle. Keep us up to date with plenty of pics.

Back