False bottom for Sanke keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SantaClaus

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking into different false bottom options for a a sanke keggle.

Right now I'm trying to decide between these two options (if I'm missing another option please let me know)

The weldless false bottom from Homebrewstuff.com
http://www.homebrewstuff.com/servlet/the-373/sanke-keg-weldless-conversion/Detail

and the Pico style ss false bottom from Homebrewing.org
http://www.homebrewing.org/Stainless-Steel-PICO-style-keg-kettle-false-bottom_p_1010.html

So between these two which should I go with? Which have you folks used?

Appreciate the help - thanks

I think the first question would be are you interested in heating the mashtun for step mashes? If so, you will need a full-width (15") false bottom. I use a SABCO false bottom and recirculate the wort with a pump while heating the bottom with a burner.

If not, anything will be fine. Even a stainless steel washer hose covering.

The homebrewstuff one is on sale and is a good price if you need all of those parts. Maybe ask them if they have a 15" false bottom?

Brew on :mug:

I think the first question would be are you interested in heating the mashtun for step mashes? If so, you will need a full-width (15") false bottom. I use a SABCO false bottom and recirculate the wort with a pump while heating the bottom with a burner.

If not, anything will be fine. Even a stainless steel washer hose covering.

The homebrewstuff one is on sale and is a good price if you need all of those parts. Maybe ask them if they have a 15" false bottom?

Brew on :mug:

Right... Good point. If I'm going to build this, I would like to have the ability to do step mashing. I wouldn't be able to do that with the one from the Homebrewstuff.com without scorching the grain. What do you think about step mashing with the other one? Seems like that sits about 1 1/2" off the bottom of the, problem with that it will be tough to drain all of the wort off the bottom.

The Sabco looks like a good solution. I was thinking that if I got a non-hinged 15" piece I wouldn't be able to get it out very easily, but it looks like Sabco addresses that by hinging it.

Thanks Tom

Yeah, I saw the supports. I think it would do fine just being placed into the keg without the supports. Either way you can put a diptube down through the false bottom as low as you want.

I am surprised that Homebrewstuff wouldn't have a 15" one.

Back