Thinking of going All Grain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
Is the work worth it? I just started brewing with three extract brews under my belt. All of them I did with steeping grains. The kits are nice but I want to experiment a little more to expand my horizons. The extract beers are good and everything but with the exception of the Chocolate Stout, they aren't as good as I hoped they would be. They seem to lack a little in body and flavor.
Should I keep experimenting with extracts and hops and steeping grains to figure what I like before I go all grain or should I just go for it? I started reading about it last week and it seems complicated to me. How difficult is the process? Also how expensive would it be to get an AG system to brew 5 gal batches? I need to get a turkey fryer/propane stove setup anyway as my electric stove isn't cutting it any more and I have plenty of room in the garage to set an AG system up. I'm just not sure whether it's too soon.

Thanks!

Dan

The switch is definitely worth the work and the money. You'll hear a lot of people talk about the "twang" from extract, and after you taste the extract and the grain side by side you will see exactly what I mean. The proceses isn't that difficult, after 1 or 2 times, you'll get pretty comfortable. As for the price, I think initially I spent about $200 total. That includes the cooler, copper for a manifold and wort cooler, and turkey fryer.

A little hint on the extract kits, if you are doing a partial boil and topping off at the end, the instructions will usually tell you to fill to 5 gal, this is a mistake. What I found out in my early days is that when I filled to 5, the points were always low. This gave me weak beers lacking in flavor and body. Try taking gravity readings periodicly as you fill and stop filling when you hit your numbers. You may lose some volume in the finished quantity, but the flavor improvement is definitely worth it.

Don't be afraid of the grain. Read "How to Brew" by John Palmer, It will help you get over your fears.

I just did my first AG on Friday afternoon.

It was worth it. (And I say that without knowing how my brew tastes yet.)

Click on the link below for some quick pics I took...

You can take it one step at a time too. Start with the propane burner and larger kettle / keggle so you can do full boils. Next, you'll have to add chilling equipment if you don't have it already. Then add the Lauter tun.

I jumped in after my first extract. I do only AG now. The level of control is so much better. But, it is more involved. Not hard, just involved. If you love to brew though, this really isn't an issue. It is intimidating the first time. Second you know what to expect, and by the third you are raring to go!

So what about the AG kits that are sold? Worth it? so besides the MT and LT, turkey fryer, larger kettle, and wort chiller what would I need? Anything or is that pretty much it?

Thanks for the advice guys..I love the hobby so I'm not worried about the work involved or the money...but it is pretty daunting still. The more I read the more I want to do it though.

And thanks for the tip on the extract boils, that will help I'm sure!

Dan

If you can afford the equipment I'd say go for it as well. I did and I glad dispite the problems encounter along the way. One of the reasons to do it is the challange.

I think all that you get with the AG kits are a higher price and some yeast that you don't usually want to use. Find some recipes that you want to try and give it a shot. There are recipes all over this forum and the internet. Plus in that book I mentioned earlier. As for the equipment, that's about it. Pretty simple

So for keeping track of temps during the mash, how do you guys do it? I have a floatin thermometer but is there a better way?

Thanks

Dan

Willsellout said:
I do have a hydrometer and use it currently. No wort chiller though, that will have to be picked up.

Dan

My wort chiller was probably $40 all together. 1 20 foot section of flex copper refrigeration tubing...$29. Two 6 foot sections of 3/8 inch flex tubing... $2 or $3...can't remember. Two garden hose adapters to fit the flex tubing, $6. Two hose clamps $1.

My link below shows a couple pictures and it was much easier to assemble than you would think.

AG takes more equipment that you have to pay for, and takes much more time for the brewing session

It is slightly more difficult than extract brewing for the first few brews, but gets easier with a bit of experience under your belt.

On the other hand, AG is cheaper than extract (once you have the equipment) allowing you to recoup the cost of the equipment over time.

Only you can decide if the extra time and initial expense is worth it.

I've recovered the cost of equipment many times over, and think it definitely worth the extra time.

-a.

I have yet to meet an AG brewer that says " This sucks! Way too much of a PITA!" All who have made the jump that I know of are glad they did.

Bernie Brewer said:
I have yet to meet an AG brewer that says " This sucks! Way too much of a PITA!" All who have made the jump that I know of are glad they did.

Is it because it's true or just that you have so much crap by then that there is no turning back

:D

I started with AG, I have never once used an extract, so it is not nearly as hard as people are led to beleive that it is. This is not rocket science, it is like boiling water for Mac and Cheese!

Brewpilot

Brewpilot said:
This is not rocket science, it is like boiling water for Mac and Cheese!

Brewpilot

I does seem like that. Just keeping an eye on temps for starch conversions and then the space overhead. I will get into it, I just need to find the space.

I just finsihed my first all-grain brew this last Sunday. I agree that Palmer's book was integral in taking this first step. Other than sitting outside tending the boil in 21 degree temps, it wasn't too bad. The worst part of it, it was so cold that my homebrew froze on me before I could finish it. It was the first time that I had to use beer cozies to keep a beer warm! Ha!

KalvinEddie said:
My wort chiller was probably $40 all together. 1 20 foot section of flex copper refrigeration tubing...$29. Two 6 foot sections of 3/8 inch flex tubing... $2 or $3...can't remember. Two garden hose adapters to fit the flex tubing, $6. Two hose clamps $1.

My link below shows a couple pictures and it was much easier to assemble than you would think.

Wow...great documentation of your first AG brew day! I've been mulling over building a chiller for a month or so now, that looks pretty easy. I have my project for this week. Thanks :)

Back