Olde English 800 Extract Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klovely78

Reaction score
Alright, I know I am going to catch some guff for wanting to make an Olde English 800 clone, but like many others I had grown up drinking the stuff and enjoy it from time to time.

I have found AG recipes around the web and can convert to extract pretty easily, but how would I handle the flaked corn part of the recipe since they do not make flaked corn extract? Do I treat it like a specialty grain? Here is the recipe I am thinking about using:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/want-make-olde-english-800-clone-52663/#post830957

Any help would be appreciated!

I haven't used flaked corn. But in reading one of my books, it has to be mashed with pale malt for conversion.

So I think your two options are:
1. Mini mash with some of the 2-row and/or 6-row.
2. Figure out the amount of fermentables you would get from it and substitute an equal amount of corn dextrose.

It's not a 1 to 1 substitution. About 2.1# dextrose = 3# flaked corn by my estimates. But that should be double checked.

It's the only alternative I can think of if he can't minimash the flaked corn. If you have another idea...

If it was me, I'd use all DME. Or use honey or invert sugar to thin it out instead of flaked corn or dextrose. But if it was me I wouldn't be drinking OE800

Thanks for recommendations everyone! Still in the exploratory phases of doing this, I'll keep you posted as to what I decide on doing, but thinking about going the corn sugar route.

If you have the capacity to steep 6lbs, I'd recommend trying a partal mash. It's really not that hard.

Take equal parts flaked corn and 2-row. Put it in a steeping bag, in your pot with as much water as you can full boil. Slowly raise the temperature to the AG mash target temp, turn the heat off, put the lid off, and let it sit for the AG mash length of time. Repeat for all the recommended rest temps.

After you get through all the rests, pull the bag out and let it drain. You may have to put more water back in the pot because the grains will soak up some.

Even if you are doing partial boils, you can still do a partial mash.

You can also use amylase enzyme to mash the flaked corn. Stuff's cheap and easy to work with.

Klovely78, Sorry I couldn't resist... If you're making a 5 gal. batch that works out to about 16 40 oz. bottles.:D

I have nothing to say here, but I thought you might find this inspiring:

olde_english.jpg

Two thoughts: For the price of OE you probably can't brew it any cheaper than you can buy it. So just buy it if you want it.

No hating coming from me about wanting to brew Malt Liquor, but if you want to try your hand at a malt liquor...I remember that one of the BN gang cloned Rogue's Daddy's Little helper on the "Can you brew it?" podcast. Rogue makes some pretty good beers, I imagine their Malt Liquor is good too.

@machinelf:love the pic... it's like beer for the eyes.

@broadbill: It's not so much about saving money, it more about making a quality malt liquor (oxymoron?) and having a fun beer for when the guys come over.

It sounds like a partial mash is pretty easy, although I will also be checking out the amylase enzyme route as well. Thanks again to everyone!

@broadbill: It's not so much about saving money, it more about making a quality malt liquor (oxymoron?) and having a fun beer for when the guys come over.

All the more reason to check out the CYBI malt liquor podcast...I have to believe that Rogue makes a better malt liquor than OE and if I remember the episode correctly...it was a recipe that they deemed as "cloned". I believe they even bottled it in 40s...

I don't have access to Daddy's little helper, but if you do you might want to check it out. Good luck!

I would love to make an OLDE E clone. Most of all I want a hurricane clone. Me and my friends loved that stuff...:mug:

Back