DIY Draft Towers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciliorozo

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I am interested in building a 3 tap draft tower, however I definitely don't want to pay those ridiculous prices for a tower from the the LHBS's. Being the not-too-hardware-store savy type, and knowing there is a lot of creativity on this board, I was wondering what you guys use for your towers. I like the T-towers and the arching pass through towers. I know there must be some metal shapes from the hardware stores I can use. So I am wondering what you guys think.

I did see Jester369's idea with a wooden box and some foam (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-project-31221/index6.html#post649609), though I think I will do this one day, I don't have the time to encase the whole keezer in wood at the moment. So I am thinking about sticking with some metal.

Anyway you guys are a creative group so I thought I would ask!

Edit: This is for use on top of a keezer (cutting holes in the lid and placing it on top)

Cheers!

Depends if you're talking on top of a bar or on a kegerator.

I went coffin box on my bar which is another option.

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=10215&cat=all&ppuser=20497

This is for use on the top of a chest freezer (keezer). I like the way wood looks, however I don't have the time right now to put the entire freezer in a coffin box, so I am going to try and find a metal solution for now, to make the system functional (can't wait!) and then I will work on a wooden solution when I get some time.

BTW Nice coffin box you got there!

Use PVC pieces and insulation

Yeah, it's scary easy:

IMAG0017.JPG

PDR_0185_2_.jpg

i think galvanized pipe w/ threaded ends and connectors would be pretty slick looking. make a big upside down "U" or a "T" with 3 taps. Run the lines, drill and tap holes for your taps, then fill in the pipe with some foam insulation.

may or may not work or look good depending on the location you want to use it, but i've seen a similar galvanized tap at a local bar that looks pretty sweet.

I think you'll be surprised at how much large diameter metal pipe can cost, especially when you add the cost of the tower shanks and faucets.

You know, these towers look a lot like the old ski pylons/ wakeboard poles from a boat. If you find an old aluminum 3" pole, cut it, it will already have mounting holes for the floor of the boat. In fact, they use to come with foam sleeves for the outside, that could be cut down and used for insulation on the inside. Heck I think I might have one in my garage right now. Of course, we made our first boat poles from fence posts. Those are galvanized. Im just spitballing here, but $60 is strting to sound pretty reasonable.

I know you asked about DIY, but I highly recommend these guys ACU Metal Fab

I got a 3", 3 hole, brushed SS tower for about $60 last year.

They have some nice pieces, but I think their prices have gone up since you ordered. I received a quote for a 3", 3 hole, brushed stainless, single pedestal T-tower for $143.29. Nice piece, but still a bit more than I am looking to spend right now. Thanks for the suggestion.

I bet you only have a tower, hmm I should get a quote for that.

You know, these towers look a lot like the old ski pylons/ wakeboard poles from a boat. If you find an old aluminum 3" pole, cut it, it will already have mounting holes for the floor of the boat. In fact, they use to come with foam sleeves for the outside, that could be cut down and used for insulation on the inside. Heck I think I might have one in my garage right now. Of course, we made our first boat poles from fence posts. Those are galvanized. Im just spitballing here, but $60 is strting to sound pretty reasonable.

Thanks for the suggestion, that is a good idea! I know exactly what you are talking about. I am going to keep my eyes open for these pylons.

Yes, I do only have the single tower, not a T. It was a great price compared to other retailers

Yes, I do only have the single tower, not a T. It was a great price compared to other retailers

Yes it is. I just got the quote back for the 12" draft arm with 3 holes in brushed stainless and it is $52.75. That is a really good price for the draft tower! I am going to look around a bit, but I like their pieces so if I buy, I will likely order from them. Thanks for the suggestion!

Yes it is. I just got the quote back for the 12" draft arm with 3 holes in brushed stainless and it is $52.75. That is a really good price for the draft tower! I am going to look around a bit, but I like their pieces so if I buy, I will likely order from them. Thanks for the suggestion!

I bought my two faucet SS tower from them for that same price.. Also bought a 8x5 Stainless Steel Drip Tray for an extra $17.xx.. they both are sweet! Shipping was pretty quick too.. they ship out of cali..

Is 12" high enough for a 3-tap tower? Or do you mean a T-tower?

I bought my two faucet SS tower from them for that same price.. Also bought a 8x5 Stainless Steel Drip Tray for an extra $17.xx.. they both are sweet! Shipping was pretty quick too.. they ship out of cali..

Which drip tray did you get? Thats the price point I am looking for!

Is 12" high enough for a 3-tap tower? Or do you mean a T-tower?

12" is the height of the tower I was quoted for the 3 taps, the taps are staggerd 2 low and 1 high. See this page for the actual dimensions (http://acumetalfab.com/drawings.html) click on the 3" arm (thats the outer diameter of the metal) and its like the 3rd drawing down the pdf. The T-tower is much more expensive.

Which drip tray did you get? Thats the price point I am looking for!
I got the surface mount. Basic stainless steel tray with stainless steel cover without the drain... it was like $25 shipped cause I didn't order the tray when I ordered my tower. It was the perfect size for a two tap tower, all the other drip tray I saw were to large at either 12 or 18 inches long. I wanted to get a flanged version but those only came in a 12 inch or longer.. the rounded drip tray start at $70 or 100, can't remember.

12" is the height of the tower I was quoted for the 3 taps, the taps are staggerd 2 low and 1 high. See this page for the actual dimensions (http://acumetalfab.com/drawings.html) click on the 3" arm (thats the outer diameter of the metal) and its like the 3rd drawing down the pdf. The T-tower is much more expensive.

I just got a 3-tap tower and it's more like 14-15 inches high...and I don't think I'd want one at 12 inches. The lower tap would be pretty low, making it difficult to pour.

The 12" height is fine for the taps. The only time I ever have issues is when I fill the 22oz Pils glass from one of the lower taps. I have to angle the glass a little, but I do that anyway.

This is actually a really good article for a DIY tower.
http://www.wortomatic.com/articles/Custom-Draft-Tower-and-Kegerator

PureChaos used it on his Keezer and it looks really good. Take a look here
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/show-us-your-kegerator-29053/index98.html#post1337265

I like the look of this. Hmm, I may have to buy some new shanks.

That's the one I was going to suggest. I started to build one like it, but then ended up using some 3" copper. Here's my build so far. Hopefully next week I'll have time to complete the finishing touches. I still have the tower I made out of ABS if you want it, but I think the door I made for it may have dissappeared.

Back