Is my idea worth trying...? Apple Juice, OJ, Hooped LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O_16581_72452_5

Reaction score
First i had my K-mart ingredients batch, then i bought real hopped Amber LME and brewers yeast.

Now i want to try something of my own, but don't want the results to suck as this batch will get pretty pricey i'm sure.

Plans for a 10 gallon batch:

7 Gallons Apple Juice
1 Gallon OJ
3.3lbs of said hopped amber LME
2 Gallons water

Add honey?

Perhaps a few bags of red tea while i boil the LME and water?

Sound like something worth a damn or am i way off in left field?

Doesn't sound to great to me. Sometimes OJ can ferment out to taste like vomit, but maybe 10% or so isn't enough. Who knows? Can't say for sure until you try it.

Doesn't sound to great to me. Sometimes OJ can ferment out to taste like vomit, but maybe 10% or so isn't enough. Who knows? Can't say for sure until you try it.

I got the idea from a friend when i mentioned it and he said Blue Moon uses orange peels while it ferments. *shrug*

Would a better idea be to throw some orange peels in my carboy before i transfer the wort/other crap?

Orange zest can add nice flavors to beer, but you really don't want to add OJ to the mix in most cases. It can be beneficial for some meads to keep fermentation going.

You might want to look up the "your Wit-ness" belgian wit recipe by Biermuncher. It is an excellent wit recipe that uses some orange zest, coriander, and chamomile tea.

I'd drink it. When we were kids we made some decent stuff with oj,rice and raisins stashed under our beds in jars. (and by decent I of course mean barely tolerable)
if we could have found hops, i'm sure we would have thrown those in too.

Sounds too much like pruno to me. Ditch the OJ for sure. If you're talking about fermenting apple juice, that's another story. Make sure that you get something without preservatives in it since that will inhibit the yeast significantly.

Make sure you use organic apple juice or even better, apple cider. I just saw some in a glass jar at Kroger the other day. And canned hopped lme isn't the best product to buy. I'd get dme or lme that doesn't come in a can and add fresh hops, but I'm notsure hops go with apple juice

Make sure you use organic apple juice or even better, apple cider. I just saw some in a glass jar at Kroger the other day. And canned hopped lme isn't the best product to buy. I'd get dme or lme that doesn't come in a can and add fresh hops, but I'm notsure hops go with apple juice

There's a recipe somewhere on the boards using apple juice with malt and hops, they say use a very small amount. Definitely using something like "simply apple", i know about the preservatives.

Um no dude that's a bad idea! It's just not enough. You'll go through it so fast you should make at least 25 gallons

25 gallons even seems like a small batch, I’d use 25 gallons of OJ alone and up then batch proportionally from there!

Back