star san foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morris1980

Reaction score
i just used star san for the first time. the bottles are dry but there is still a little foam in some of the bottles. will it go away or do i have to get it out.

Just leave it. Once you use star san a few times and you get to play with the foam a little, you'll see that what looks like a lot of star san is really nothing. A big handfull of foam isn't even enough to wet your hand. There's nothing to that foam.

Don't fear the foam, but don't let it dry either, Starsan and Iodophor are no-rinse, wet contact sanitizers, meaning they maintain their efficacy as sanitizers as long as they remain wet. If you allow something to dry and a microrganism then touches or lands on/in, it, the object will no longer necessarily be sanitized.

As to the foam...:D

foam1.jpg

If you allow something to dry and a microrganism then touches or lands on/in, it, the object will no longer necessarily be sanitized.

Well...I'm sure this is only true for a limited amount of time, but from the AHS website:
Star San leaves a microscopic film on sanitized items that will continue to protect bottles and equipment even after they have dried.
So just because it dried doesn't mean you need to wet everything down again necessarily, but don't expect that just because you used starsan on it one time that it is forever sanitized. Probably just use common sense and if in doubt, spray it again.

A squirt bottle filled with distilled water and star-san mixture lasts for a very long time. It is good to have one around to use!

Well...I'm sure this is only true for a limited amount of time, but from the AHS website:

So just because it dried doesn't mean you need to wet everything down again necessarily, but don't expect that just because you used starsan on it one time that it is forever sanitized. Probably just use common sense and if in doubt, spray it again.

That's sort of an arbitrary statement...It doesn't really say how long, does it? Is it still effective after 5 minutes, and hour, over night?

How bout the NEXT mircoparticle after the first one that lands on the dry object and is killed????

Most of us adhere to the Wet Contact, don't let it dry, idea and err on the side of caution.....

A Quote from Charlie Taley from 5 star in an email a couple years ago

"As for the residual yes it will keep organisms from growing as long as it
doesn't come into contact with moisture for about one week. At least that
is what my non-EPA tests have proven."

but YMMV....
as far as putting stuff together wet there is a refrence to stuff that your assembling like valves, kegs, conicals...etc...

A Quote from Charlie Taley from 5 star in an email a couple years ago

"As for the residual yes it will keep organisms from growing as long as it
doesn't come into contact with moisture for about one week. At least that
is what my non-EPA tests have proven."

but YMMV....
as far as putting stuff together wet there is a refrence to stuff that your assembling like valves, kegs, conicals...etc...

Again...that's all well and good, until a bird poops in your fermenter, or you touch the dry object with your unsantized hands....No sanitizer is a magic kill all....but if you keep the stuff wet, the efficacy is higher...that's ALL I've been saying..they aren't not called , "no-rinse, wet contact" sanitisers for a reason....If you want to make sure your stuff is sanitized, then leave it wet....use it relatively soon....

OP, This thread has a lot of great info on santizing, including podcast links on using starsan and iodophor, and some great tips on using either of them.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/?highlight=sanitizer+question

Latest posts

Back