Plastic V Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halden

Reaction score
I am sure this out there somewhere but I couldn't find a thread for so here goes...

Glass beer bottles V PET bottles.

The PET bottles seem wrong to me but I cannot find a local option for buying empty glass beer bottles. Any suggestions? Will The PET seal properly?

pet bottles have worked for me on small batches for awhile now. ive had no problem. as long as theyre sanitized properly, you havent tried to make a bottle bomb with them because this weakens the plastic by stretching it, and your lids are in good condition, youre probably ok to use them. the good thing about pet bottles is that you can tell when your brew is carbonated properly. glass bottles, you just gotta make sure your fermentation is done and you have the proper priming amount or youre going to have issues.

You can sometimes find Glass bottles at your local grocery store. They sometimes come with free beer inside them.

Other than that HBS's are the best place to get bottles.
You can also talk to bars. They will sometimes save bottles and give them to people. One night worth of drinkers at a bar should be plenty for you.

I've found that asking friends to save their empties for you will fill your basement with free glass beer bottles in no time. I had to tell my friends to stop saving them for me, because I have more than I need (for now).

An oxyclean soak gets labels and whatnot off of almost every bottle I've tried.

yes glass bottles are easily attainable from friends, co-workers, and grocery stores with beer in them. labels come off easily after soaking in warm soapy water for 30 minutes. only pry off bottles, no twisties.

Back