Another use for oxi-clean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a good idea... it turns into hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate in water... the peroxide would readily turn into 2 h2o + o2, but you're still left with soda ash in your beer.

lol. provocative question there.

Not a good idea... it turns into hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate in water... the peroxide would readily turn into 2 h2o + o2, but you're still left with soda ash in your beer.

And what would the soda ash do?

I'm genuinely curious.

lol. provocative question there.

And what would the soda ash do?

I'm genuinely curious.

If you put a little, not much... it would drop the pH of your wort, which the yeast might not like. If you put a lot, well...

Colorless or white odorless crystals occurring naturally as thermonatrite, natron, or natrite. Usually obtained commercially. Used as a neutralizer for butter, cream, fluid milk, and ice cream; in the processing of olives before canning; and in cocoa products. A strong alkali used as lye. Used to treat skin rashes, and as a water softener. Has been used as mouth-wash and (feminine product). Ingestion of large quantities may produce corrosion of the gastrointestinal tract, vomiting, diarrhea, circulatory collapse, and death.

An alkali which exists as crystals or crystalline powder and is readily soluble in water. It has numerous functions: as an antioxidant, as a curing and pickling agent, as a flavoring agent, a processing aid, a sequestrant, and as an agent for pH control. It is used in instant soups to neutralize acidity. It is used in alginate water dessert gels to sequester the calcium, allowing the alginate to solubilize. It is also used in pudding, sauces, and baked goods.

SODIUM CARBONATE, SODA ASH -FOOD RESOURCE - OREGON STATE UNIVERSITY

Some item names changed... not sure what sort of filter is in place for words here, hehe.

Interesting.

What relationship does it have to smoke? I realize the lye/soap connection, but I'm not sure I understand how ash works (I've read that some ashes are acids and some are alkali... its not related to the pH of the initial product, i.e. the ash of lemon juice is alkalizing)

Would it actually contribute a smokey flavor? Do you think smoked malt (or beers made with it) have increased levels of soda ash or other ashes?

Interesting.

What relationship does it have to smoke? I realize the lye/soap connection, but I'm not sure I understand how ash works (I've read that some ashes are acids and some are alkali... its not related to the pH of the initial product, i.e. the ash of lemon juice is alkalizing)

Would it actually contribute a smokey flavor? Do you think smoked malt (or beers made with it) have increased levels of soda ash or other ashes?

I dunno man, I just saw ash and made the connection.

We had a discussion about this on rec.crafts.brewing a year or two ago. One of the guys posted that it would take very little to increase the dissolved oxygen content, and at that level, the sodium carbonate would impart very little (if any) flavor. Although if the technique did have any merit, chances are pretty good that it would be already used commercially. Sodium percarbonate is cheaper and easier/safer to store than gaseous oxygen.

It might be a fun experiment though...on someone else's beer. ;)

Dont pay too much attention to the name. Its sodium carbonate, Na2CO3. Theres no "smoky" flavor or anything like that... The name probably just comes from how the chemical was first extracted, from some kind of ash.

It might be a good idea to chug a few different feminine hygene products, though, in order to test for any off flavors before risking a whole batch.

Pogo

Back