Just brewed my first Hefe-Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDRacing13

Reaction score
I just finished cleaning up after brewing my first Hefe. Cant wait to see how this turns out I used a recipe I found on here and liquid yeast I got from the brewmaster at the local brew pub. If it comes out well there will definatly be more hefe's in the near future as he gave me a growler of yeast:rockin:

I'm itching to make my first Hefe. Ingredients shipped yesterday so I'm hoping to be in business by this weekend. I still haven't bottled my two in-progress beers, so this could be a very busy weekend.

I cant seem to find the thread I got the recipe in so i dont know who to give the credit to but here it is.

Extract
3lbs. Light DME
3lbs. Wheat DME

Specialty Grains
.5lbs. CaraPils
2lbs. Crystal(or caramel) Malt (10 Lov)
Steep @150 for 30 mins.

Whole Leaf Hops
.5oz Hallertauer for 45 mins.
2oz Cascade for 30 mins.
.5oz Hallertauer for 20 mins.

I have a quick question though, I know a hefe should be hazy so what should I do about secondary. Just do as normal and serve with the yeast sediment from the bottom of the bottle?

TDRacing13 said:
To be honest Im not sure what the yeast is, its the house hefe yeast from my local brewpub.
The only thing that concerns me about that is that it may be an American Hefe strain which will not be as flavorful as a German Hefe strain...but that may not be an issue for you as plenty of people like American Hefes/wheats.

In terms of the secondary, it won't hurt anything. I secondaried a Hefeweizen for 40 days at 50-55F and it never cleared and carbonated fine. If you condition it in the fridge for a while it may settle and clear in the bottle, but I usually swish the yeast back into suspension with the last ounce or two and pour that, too, which clouds it pretty well.

No its def a german hefe yeast, I was drinking one of his hefe's while he gave me the yeast. Very fruity, probably one the the best ive had yet.

Back