Tasty brew calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bel

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long to leave a keg carbonating using the tasty brew calculator. I have an iPa and the calculator recommends 4.9 psi but does not say how long to leave it. Any ideas?

4.9 psi? That's flat. Normally, for the "set it and forget it" carbing in a fridge, it's more like 11-12 psi.

(I hate those calculators by the way!)

Oh hey yooper. I think I may have gotten the gas out of the beer. Going to set and forget now. Is the tasty brew calculator no good?

I assumed this was an English beer being carbed to style. I have never gone below 10 psi myself but 4.9psi supposedly would yield about 1.9 vol of co2 at 38F.

My beer is at 38 degrees. 1.9 is in range for an iPa right?

bel said:
My beer is at 38 degrees. 1.9 is in range for an iPa right?

According to tasty brew it is. I am like Yooper I carb everything the same. I currently have my pressure at 10psi. I like it. At 10 PSI (my fridge is also 38F) I get relatively few bubbles coming out of solution. At 12 PSI I get a rain of bubbles. It depends on what you like.

At 4.9PSI you are trusting physics and the charts/calculators. I think it will work but have no experience there. I also have no experience with beers at 1.9 vol of co2. I have had casked ales in England but don't know the volumes of co2.

FWIW I prefer the calculator over the chart, but I agree that 1.9 is close to flat.

Back