5.2 addition time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elleric

Reaction score
So im using 5.2 for the first time this weekend... I was wondering about the addition time. I wanted to make sure I understand correctly.

I add 1 tablespoon to my strike water and then make no further additions regardless of the amount of strike or sparge water. This is for 5 gallons.

IMO, don't waste your time. 5.2 is a PH buffer and will not necessarily reduce your PH. In most cases the grain bill alone will reduce your PH by itself.

There are a lot of threads on this site regarding the use of 5.2 and its lack of ability in doing what people believe it to be designed to do.

There are better means of reducing ridiculously high PH's that you can read about in the brewing science section.

IMO, don't waste your time. 5.2 is a PH buffer and will not necessarily reduce your PH. In most cases the grain bill alone will reduce your PH by itself.

There are a lot of threads on this site regarding the use of 5.2 and its lack of ability in doing what people believe it to be designed to do.

There are better means of reducing ridiculously high PH's that you can read about in the brewing science section.

Agreed. There's little assurance it will work and it adds a lot of sodium which gives your beer a weird flavor.

Ok so I started up my mash this morning for a janet's brown and did not add any 5.2 stabalizer. See how it goes

Ok so I started up my mash this morning for a janet's brown and did not add any 5.2 stabalizer. See how it goes

If you have PH strips you can take a reading after 5-10 minutes of the mash setting up and see where it is. You can also test your tap or whatever water you use to see where it is without the mash and see how the grain bill effects and drops the PH.

Back