Did I create oxidation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndhowlett

Reaction score
I searched on oxidation, and found lots of good stuff. Nothing really nailed my topic so..... I was wondering how much splashing or bubbles from the auto-siphon would create oxidation? When I racked to a secondary, after 8 days in the primary, I was getting near the end and gave a couple extra pumps to get the flow going. Then a couple of air bubbles were introduced to my beer. It was not my intention to create a bubble, but I needed to get more beer out and into the secondary.

I used hop leafs, didn't use a hop bag. I won't do that again! What a mess, and a pain in the you know what to rack.

Are there any better techniques to transfer beer? I've heard whispers of different ways, including using CO2 to transfer, but never anything solid.

Thanks!

No. It takes several PPM's of oxydation more that the little mistakes we make when brewing to actually damage your beer. ANd that includes siphoning issues. (we've all had them)

There was a discussion of Basic Brewing that mentioned that the amount of O2 really necessary to "ruin" it would be equal to running an O2 bottle for like 10 minutes into your beer.

As long as you take reasonable precautions, a few siphon mistakes will be OK, your beer is stronger than that....It doesn't mean you can pour your beer into you bottling bucket from 6 feet up a ladder...Just that a few siphoning stops and starts won't hurt it.

Besides oxydation often take several months to show up, and if you are like most of us, you will tend to have finished drinking a batch before it would have a chance to show up.

Back