Rye Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reelseasick

Reaction score
I got this recipe for a rye ale, but it seems light on the rye grain. just 1 lb. for a 5.25 batch. can I cut my 2 row by a lb. and add a lb. of rye? Or is that not a direct replacement? (I know not all the hops are listed in the top half of recipe)

9 lbs. American 2-row info

1 lbs. American Munich info

1 lbs. Rye Malt info

.75 lbs. Belgian Biscuit info

.25 lbs. Honey Malt info

.4 oz. Yakima Magnum (Pellets, 14.50 %AA) boiled 60 min. info

1 oz. Fuggle (Pellets, 4.75 %AA) boiled 30 min. info

.5 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 20 min. info

Yeast : WYeast 1056 American Ale info

This recipe is for a clone of Rye Ale brewed in Athens GA. I take no credit for this recipe, I contacted Terrapin Brewing and they gave me approximate specifications on their "Terrapin Rye Ale" ... It is awesome, and very hoppy.

If you have ever tried this, you'll be dying to make it ... Good luck HOP HEADS ...

Mash at 154F for 60 minutes, Sparge with 170F water. Boil for 90 minutes.

Follow this hop schedule

.4 Oz. Yakima Magnum - 60 minutes
1.0 Oz. Fuggles - 30 Minutes
.5 Oz. E.K. Goldings - 20 Minutes
.5 Oz. E.K. Goldings - 10 Minutes
.5 Oz. Cascades - 0 minutes
2 Oz. Armarillo - Dry Hop.

Rye malt doesn't have quite the same potential, so you will need to add a little more rye than than the amount of 2-row you remove, about 15-20% more. However, you don't want more than 15% of your total grains to be rye malt.

Let us know how it turns out.

It depends how much you like rye, and how well you can lauter on your system. In my last batch, I did about 30% rye and it was about right for me. But rye (particularly flaked rye) is gummy stuff. If you have any lautering issues with your system, you might want to toss in some rice hulls (I use a SS braid, and just barely got by without hulls).

Personally, I think 1 lb of rye in that recipe will hardly be detectable. I would bump it up for sure. :mug:

I've never worked with rye before, but could you do a beta-glucanose rest at 95-113°F to break up the gums? That way it might be easier to work with higher percentages of rye.

Yes, definitely. And if you did it at the higher end of the range, you would also get some proteolytic activity too. I might do this on my next iteration of the recipe because my last one had a bit of chill haze (and to make lautering easier).

is there a difference between using flaked rye and rye malt? Like quantities used and sparge difficulties?

Malted and flaked rye have a slightly different taste, apparently. I followed the advice of someone on the board here (sorry -- can't remember who now) and use both in my rye recipes. It is supposed to give a fuller, more rounded rye flavour.

It is also nice to use at least some malted rye because it does have some diastatic power, meaning you get better mash conversion. But if you are using standard pale malt, there is plenty of enzymatic power to convert at least a few pounds of flaked rye, so it probably doesn't matter much in the end.

Back