Wort Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure why u would do that vs old school shaking. Too much opportunity to introduce infection. If you are going to put something in a sanitized bubbler tube or stone with filtered air or O2 is best.

As for cleaning, looks good, but may not remove crusty bits like PBW will..

-BD

-BD

A number of folks use wine degassers which do basically the same thing. As long as your sanitation is top notch, it will work very well. You won't be able to obtain the optimum levels for very high gravity beers (it's simply not possible with atmospheric air, you need to use pure O2), but you'll quickly be able to introduce the maximum level of oxygen that can be obtained with air a lot faster (and safer) than shaking.

How quick?

Not sure off the top of my head, but I'd figure that a few minutes with a drill powered degasser would do it (as opposed to 20+ minutes with an air pump via stone, or equivalent amount of shaking). As opposed to 60-90 seconds of pure oxygen.

I'm looking for some hard data, will update if I find any.

Back