What can I make in a rush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanaDana

Reaction score
I was going to make a Black IPA for a friends birthday, but life interrupted by brewing schedule (damn you real world!). I don't have enough time to make it as I want it in the keg on Mothers Day or the Monday after (May 13-14) to serve May 19.
I would be making something this week, but I'm not sure what I can squeeze in that will be a solid drinking beer. Trying to stay away from wheat beers.
Anyone got an idea of something they made and it came out pretty good with a quick ferment?
I have yet to make a pale ale in my brewing history, do you think I could ferment in a week, dry hop a week, and it will be good?

Any input welcomed!

You have about three weeks to serving day?

I'd make a British mild, if wheat beers are out and you want to be drinking this in three weeks. A low OG beer with a highly flocculant British ale yeast = drinkable in two weeks, but better in three.

You could try a cream ale, as those are pretty quick if enough yeast is pitched and the proper fermentation temperature is maintained.

A pale ale wouldn't be a great choice for serving in three weeks, for the most part.

A lower OG, lower IBU beer is usually quite doable in a couple of weeks, but anything with roasted malt or complex flavors may take a bit longer to be ready. Other beers may be ready, but maybe not.

Yooper said:
You have about three weeks to serving day?

I'd make a British mild, if wheat beers are out and you want to be drinking this in three weeks. A low OG beer with a highly flocculant British ale yeast = drinkable in two weeks, but better in three.

You could try a cream ale, as those are pretty quick if enough yeast is pitched and the proper fermentation temperature is maintained.

A pale ale wouldn't be a great choice for serving in three weeks, for the most part.

A lower OG, lower IBU beer is usually quite doable in a couple of weeks, but anything with roasted malt or complex flavors may take a bit longer to be ready. Other beers may be ready, but maybe not.

Well I have a mild in the carboy (orfeys recipe with a slight twist) but that was to be bottled for a comp. Maybe I should just start up that yeast cake and make another batch.

I have had kegs of pale ales gone in 3 weeks from brew many times. Just make them extra hoppy and use a starter and you will be fine.

I love wyeast 1968 for quick beers. It drops amazingly bright in less than a week. It has a nice flavor. You should try your Black IPA. I just brewed a 1.056 ESB and it was crystal clear in six days. I left it in the fermenter a week longer because of lack of time to keg, but fg came out at 1.014

There is a brewery near me in Oregon (Everybody's Brewing) that uses this beer exclusively (except for lagers) because of it's amazing turn around time.

Back