Had my first explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nytelyte

Reaction score
Brewing a hefeweisen, norther brewer's kit. I augmented the malt bill such that OG was 1.060, used a 1L starter. Pitched at about noon at about 80deg, put it in my fermenting closet which is about 63deg.
Went out for a poker night.
Came home, heard a BOOM, found this:
IMG_20120324_235546.jpg

It blew off the top of the fermenter, krausen all over the walls, knocked the closet door open. I rigged a blowoff, it plugged that up and popped the top (less violently) again less than 20 minutes later.

Only solution I came up with late night with minimal supplies was less than ideal. This was the next morning:
IMG_20120325_094722.jpg

Everything was sanitized, and I figured that there was enough CO2 blowing out that nothing really stood a chance of getting in.

It is now rigged normally with a standard blowoff bubbling like mad. Hoping it turns out OK.

Trust the yeasties. They have 3000 years experience...

"Everything was sanitized, and I figured that there was enough CO2 blowing out that nothing really stood a chance of getting in."

That is probably a good assumptions. Those are some awesome pictures. Out of curiousity, in the first picture, where exactly did the lid land?

Fantastic! Havent had that happen yet luckily, swmbo would have my head.

As far as contamination goes, I imagine you are all set too much activity for there to be an issue.

The lid was in the foreground about where my feet were in the picture but I'd picked it up when I took the pic, it was dripping goop on the wood floor.

Girlfriend wasn't upset, thought it was funny, but said 'You're cleaning that up.'

Clean er up.and put a lid blow off or airlock on. How many inches from the top did you go,if you went only a few thats pretty ballsy witout a blowoff.I pressed my luck a few times maxing out my fermenter with only a few inches and turned out ok and a beer or two gained.I find lower temps tame the beast unless im not pitching enough.

Clean er up.and put a lid blow off or airlock on. How many inches from the top did you go,if you went only a few thats pretty ballsy witout a blowoff.I pressed my luck a few times maxing out my fermenter with only a few inches and turned out ok and a beer or two gained.I find lower temps tame the beast unless im not pitching enough.

Yea, its sitting in the closet all cleaned up with a standard airlock at this point. It was right at 5 gal, maybe plus a smidgen. I don't know how much lower of temp I would want to go, it was sitting at about 63, how much below that would allow the yeast to remain happy and productive?

I've rigged blowoffs before, but had pretty much found the 'airlock danger zone' to be right around an OG of 1.070, anything below that and I've had no problems. This is my first hefe, and from what i'm seeing they are a bit more energetic than most..

Latest posts

Back