IPA super high SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dentdr

Reaction score
Im doing second IPA as the first was so good, This one should have an SG of 1.065 but after my boils and and that good stuff my SG is 1.092 ???? is this a bad thing???

nope not a bad thing, just be sure to pitch a ton of yeast...maybe another sachet or Vial on top of what you already pitched.
it probably wont taste exactly like you originally wanted but without seeing the recipe its hard to tell.
if you get it down to 1.018 or 1.020 you'll have an abv of 9.5%or so! woohoo

nope not a bad thing, just be sure to pitch a ton of yeast...maybe another sachet or Vial on top of what you already pitched.
it probably wont taste exactly like you originally wanted but without seeing the recipe its hard to tell.
if you get it down to 1.018 or 1.020 you'll have an abv of 9.5%or so! woohoo

6lbs gold LME + 3 lbs amber LME

4oz cascade pellet hops
1oz willamett pellet hops
1oz US golden hops
1/2 tsp Irish moss in last 10 min of boil

pitched: white labs british ale yeast WLP005 35 mls vial

Secondary call for fermenting with OAk chips

This was a measuring issue then. If you used the correct volume of water and all the ingredients you will hit your OG with an extract recipe. Did you top off at the end? It's extremely difficutlt to mix enough to get an accurate reading. I would just go by the kit's expected OG.

Revvy has a thread on here somewhere about missing your OG - a good read.

dentdr said:

If you topped up and didn't stir the wort this is why your readings are off. It takes a lot of stirring to get everything mixed well enough to get an accurate reading.

Back