san francisco beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmock79

Reaction score
So I am heading to San Francisco for the week and I am trying to compile a list of must try beers. I live in Ohio and and I am a HOPHEAD, but I do appreciate all beers.

So fire away what must I try or what beer bars should I hit up?!?!

Thanks and Cheers!!!:mug:

Make sure you head to the rogue ales public house at least once. It's technically Oregon brew but that's not a bad thing.

When I was in San Francisco recently, I visited Beer Revolution, in Oakland. It's a pretty cool place. They had about 40 beers on tap, as well as about three refrigerators with bottles. The bartenders seemed very knowledgeable as well.

If you like Rogue beers, check out their pub. They have quite a few beers on tap and pretty tasty burgers there.

Awesome, I have been informed of the revolution I will def check that one out!!

Keep em coming.

Cheers!!

Call Black Horse Pub in Nob Hill and find out if they have anything cool on cask. The owner is a huge beer nerd and tries to get some casked ales when he can. Go here by yourself or with no more than one other friend. Have a great time, best city in America! And one of the coolest pubs in the city.

There is of course anchor in san francisco, but you'll usually need to sign up for tours way in advance. You could try calling and see if there is still space. Also, 21st amendment is in san francisco, you should check them out.

If you head over the bridge into Berkeley, I recommend Jupiter and Triple Rock.

Both are brew pubs; Triple Rocks makes hoppier beers, while Jupiter also has some damn fine pizza! :D

I like Jupiter's atmosphere a little better (especially if you can sit outside) but Triple Rock's beers a little more.

Toronado in the Haight, City Beer store in the Mission, I'll second the Black Horse. Avoid Monk's Kettle, it's too damn busy to get a table most nights. La Trappe in North Beach if you like Belgian styles.

Find some fresh Pliny the Elder or Blind Pig on tap.

Head over the bridge and grabs some of the great beers from Drake's in San leandro. Next time Google 'the bistro in hayward' and try to plan your next trip for an ipa or iipa festival and have a fantasticly hoppy time.

Head over the bridge and grabs some of the great beers from Drake's in San leandro. Next time Google 'the bistro in hayward' and try to plan your next trip for an ipa or iipa festival and have a fantasticly hoppy time.

this is a very good brewery, not very well known, but they make great beer. they have a barrel house right next to the brewery. there is no sign and it's buried in the far corner of a shopping center but it's worth the trip. any day now they will have the alpha session ale on tap, don't miss it.

second toronado, they always have a few amazing ipa's on tap, plus a ton of other great beers. Monks kettle is good, just go earlier in the day, not the evening, as it gets super crowded (just had black butte XXIII here on tap a couple of weeks ago, delicious!). If you want to get some bottles of great beer to take home, head over to healthy spirits, best bottle selection i've ever seen.

the trappist in oakland is walking distance from beer revolution, they specialize in belgian beeer.

Toronado, Magnolia, 21st Amendment, Monk's Kettle in the city. Beer Revolution, Trappist in Oakland. What other people say about the north bay. If you wanted a fun day, you could start at Magnolia (they have good food, too), then walk to Toronado, then Healthy Spirits (great selection of bottles), then Monk's Kettle. That's the mostly downhill route.

How has nobody given him Speakeasy?? if your a hop head, they will rock your world!

Gordon Biersch is actually based in San Jose, but there is a brewhouse restaurant in San Francisco along the Embarcadero near Harrison street.

My favorite is their Marzen, and now in Oktoberfest period, it should be prime. Other flavors of Gordon's that I really like are Maibock, and Winter Bock - check for availability. I love Gordon Biersch :).

BTW, LOVE San Francisco. I hated having to move away from the bay area ... but I'm beginning to warm up to Seattle, now.

russian river is way up there in santa rosa but it's worth the trip.

If you make the trip out there, you're not far from Lagunitas--also, worth the trip.

Moylan's is even closer. They usually have some interesting and tasty brews on cask, as well as other great brews. Good food too.

I actually just returned from San Francisco last week. What an amazing trip. I did the entire west coast. I couldn't get enough of Magnolia though. Wonderfully balanced, fresh beer...not to mention the food is out of this world. Toronado is a great place to drink as well. You can walk from Magnolia to Toronado as well. I also hit up 21A, La Trappe, Jupiter, Triple Rock, and Monk's Kettle. All great stops. If you have the time, drive up the 101. Bear Republic, Anderson Valley, Russian River (great beer - terrible service), Marin, Moylan's, and Lagunitas are all along that route.

But seriously. Go to Magnolia if nothing else.

I actually just returned from San Francisco last week. What an amazing trip. I did the entire west coast. I couldn't get enough of Magnolia though. Wonderfully balanced, fresh beer...not to mention the food is out of this world. Toronado is a great place to drink as well. You can walk from Magnolia to Toronado as well. I also hit up 21A, La Trappe, Jupiter, Triple Rock, and Monk's Kettle. All great stops. If you have the time, drive up the 101. Bear Republic, Anderson Valley, Russian River (great beer - terrible service), Marin, Moylan's, and Lagunitas are all along that route.

But seriously. Go to Magnolia if nothing else.

Absolutely get to Magnolia. I was a bit disappointed w/ Bear Republic, though-food was meh, the place lacks any character. If you're into Pinot Noir, Stop in to Kastania just off 101 in Petaluma, dynamite vino.

-d

How has nobody given him Speakeasy?? if your a hop head, they will rock your world!

I agree with bottlebomber, Speakeasy has an awesome happy hour. Starts 4ish on fridays and goes until 9ish. Free admission and $3 beers. Sometimes there is music and always a good crowd. I think they are also open on saturdays now.

Depending on your timing, I highly recommend attending a "Meet the Brewers" event. Its a monthly event where all the commercial brewers in the area meet up and talk shop. Its really chill and open to anyone. http://sfbrewersguild.org/events.php Next one is Oct 19th and hosted at Thirsty Bear by Brenden.

This is great sounds like I should be broke an drunk by the time the week is over!!!

Also mentioned here is the Rogue Ale House. If it's super late, I love going here, grabbing a pint and sitting outside to people watch. Right before you pig out at Golden Boy pizza of course!!

This thread rocks. I never knew Rogue had a tap house there! I love their beers and often stay in the hostel located right in the center of North Beach. I'll be there this friday! so thanks!!

Pyramid has a brewery in Berkeley also if you're a fan of their beers, but that's all you'll get there and the whole place is super bland and corporate (including the food). I enjoy the brewpubs there very very much (rock and Jupiter), but they're nothing special. Tasty fresh beer, but I'd avoid Berkeley entirely if you're pressed for time.

+1 to Speakeasy and Rogue. Revolution is a great little bar in Oakland (one of my favorites in the bay), but IF you do go there, be SURE to also walk across the street to Blue Bottle Coffee.

The.

Best.

Coffee.

On the planet.

daksin said:
Revolution is a great little bar in Oakland (one of my favorites in the bay), but IF you do go there, be SURE to also walk across the street to Blue Bottle Coffee.

The.

Best.

Coffee.

On the planet.

Agreed. There's a Blue Bottle in SF too, the original one I think.

Reasons to go to SF:

Blue Bottle
Speakeasy
Pizzeria Del Fina
Bi-Rite Creamery (Sounds more like Rite-Aid than the best ice cream in the city. Don't be fooled)

Magnolia for sure. Toronado and La trappe too. If in East Bay, skip triple rock and pyramid. Do hit beer revolution and the trappist. Tour trumer brewery.

Pyramid has a brewery in Berkeley also if you're a fan of their beers, but that's all you'll get there and the whole place is super bland and corporate (including the food). I enjoy the brewpubs there very very much (rock and Jupiter), but they're nothing special. Tasty fresh beer, but I'd avoid Berkeley entirely if you're pressed for time.

+1 to Speakeasy and Rogue. Revolution is a great little bar in Oakland (one of my favorites in the bay), but IF you do go there, be SURE to also walk across the street to Blue Bottle Coffee.

The.

Best.

Coffee.

On the planet.

more like down the street and around the corner. right across the street fro beer revolution is the butter cup cafe which has the worst coffee on the planet.

Does Magnolia have better service now, the last three times I've gone the staff at the bar were either belligerent or completely oblivious? I love the beer, but I prefer their old menu and I'm still annoyed they painted over their mural.

If you make the trip out there, you're not far from Lagunitas--also, worth the trip..

I know you have already gone but for others who may visit...

Lagunitas - definitely. This is one of my favorite breweries. If you are up that way stop in at Bear Republic also.

In San Francisco definitely go to City Beer in Mission.

Back