GFCI wiring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExHempKnight

Reaction score
I plan on making a 240V keggle, using a 5500 watt element, an Auber PID w/RTD temp sensor, and THIS inline GFI cable.

My question is: How do I wire it up? Specifically, the neutral wire. I know the 2 hots connect to the element, and the ground gets bolted to the keggle itself.

I have plenty of experience with 120V household stuff, just not 240V.

Thanks for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need the neutral for your application. You can leave it dangling. Just put a wire cap on it.

yes. it will. I can give you gory details about how the GFI works, but short answer is that it will still work.

One comment. Folks generally put the GFI as early in the system as they can... like right in the breaker box. Your comments indicate that you are connecting that cable to the kettle, which means you have GFI only on the kettle and not on the control box you are going to be building.

Is that accurate?

jh3vwq63jqnlb5hphh.jpg

That's straight out of the PID manual.

That is basically how I plan to wire it up. The GFI cable will be connected at the 240V input. Only difference will be that mine will have the ground running to the keggle (and possibly the control box, if that ends up being metal).

Note that your test button on the breaker may not work if the neutral is not connected but the breaker should still work.

You can connect the neutral to ground if you want to make the test button work, as long as how you have it wired has no current going through the breaker to ground you wont cause a safety issue. Most 2 poll GFCI's have a neutral in and then a pigtail, in which you're suppose to connect the neutral from the circuit to the neutral in on the breaker and then the pigtail to neutral. If you dont connect anything to the neutral in on the breaker and then put the pigtail to ground the test button will work and the GFCI will still protect you on a ground fault.

Back