Splenda to sweeten - still dangerous?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kunstler

Reaction score
So I was going to make my father 2 full cases or root beer for christmas.

He used to make it all the time when he was in his 20s but since then lost the cellaring space that kept his bottle cool and not AS dangerous due to the colder temps (plus it was the 80s and he lived reckless back then)

The thought of giving him a bunch of 20oz plastic bottles or 2L bottles - not very appealing - I want to give him glass bottles...

If I use Splenda (not the 50/50 splenda sugar mix, but actually 100% splenda) and then add a small amount of sugar (my concentrate I have has a recipe for low cal soda and uses some to carb) can I bottle condition in the glass and let it sit at room temps without the risk of root beer grenades?

my theory is that the yeast will only eat the sugar (table sugar) and then there will be nothing left for them to consume and with the right amount of sugar I'll have the right amount carbonation and no risk of having him drink the 2 cases over a period of a month or so.

I would love to keg, carb, and fill bottles with a beer gun but that is not an option at the moment. And going out and buying 12 carbonator caps is not appealing either...any thoughts

Sounds like a good idea. I think it will work fine. But if you wanted to use a carbonator cap you should only need one and just move it from bottle to bottle replacing with a real cap as you go.

The back of the packets of Splenda and generic-branded "sucralose" all say that it contains Dextrose... and obviously Dextrose is almost fully fermentable...

It depends on which form of Splenda you get. Some have dextrose, some don't. "No carbohydrates" means less than a gram per serving. A cup of the form with dextrose has about 28 gm of dextrose, which wouldn't even get the carbonation started, much less be a problem.

the dextrose in splenda is a trace amount used as an anti-caking agent. not enough sugar to worry about..

I've tried this before and it didn't really work for me, but I think it's because I screwed up my math. I was thinking of using cooper's carb tabs and then adding champagne yeast directly to each bottle. Then I could just add in any mixture I wanted. I was thinking of trying to make a dry soda using this method, maybe boiling some fir needles in some water and adding the mixture to the bottles?

Back