Bottling/Priming Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lordsoth

Reaction score
I'm going to bottle an APA tomorrow that has been sitting in primary for 4 weeks, and I cold crashed for the last 2 days. I was wondering if I could rack it into my bottling bucket tonight (with the priming sugar) and then let it sit in my fridge until tomorrow morning (~12 hours)? My understanding is that I won't have to worry about the yeast fermenting the priming sugar as it will be too cold, but will I need to gently stir it tomorrow prior to bottling or will the sugar stay suspended in the beer so that I get even carbonation in the bottles? Thanks.

Why do you want to do that???? What do you hope to accomplish by doing so?
You really want you beer at roon temps so the yeasties are nice and active when you feed them the priming solution.....

But again, what is your motivation for doing something so...odd....for bottling?

Why do you want to do that???? What do you hope to accomplish by doing so?
You really want you beer at roon temps so the yeasties are nice and active when you feed them the priming solution.....

But again, what is your motivation for doing something so...odd....for bottling?

Hmmm. I thought maybe it would help with clarity I guess, let it settle some more after racking? But if I gotta stir it to redistribute the sugar, that would defeat the purpose. Soooo.....in short, I dunno why, lol.

My guess is you will have crystal clear beer after cold crashing for a couple days as long as you dont get too greedy when racking and suck up a bunch of trub. If you want to experiment on your next batch a bit, try using a secondary. Thats what I do, and I have less yeast on the bottom of the secondary after cold crashing, so I can get virtually all but about 1/2 cup of beer. I feel like its easier to get nice clear beer with a secondary, so thats how I do it.

You cold crash the beer BEFORE you add priming sugar...you actually need the beer at room temp(ish) for the yeast to actually do their job and carb in a timely fashion.

Listen, my beer IS crystal clear (It's even been called Jewel-like, by bjcp judges)...and I don't really do anything special...except let my beer sit in primary for a month....leave it for a minimum 3 weeks in the bottle usually more, and pour from the shoulder.....you don't need to strive for something, that comes pretty naturally, with good brewing and pouring skills...

Read this mini rant of mine...it has some good info....https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1379528-post2.html

:mug:

Cool thanks for the advice, this is the first beer I made that I actually wanted clear (others were wheat beers or dark beers). I do realize that cold crashing occurs prior to adding the priming sugar (which is why I did that), I just thought I had read somewhere that it was a good technique to let it rest overnight after racking to the bottling bucket to let the additional trub you might have sucked up settle, and I thought to myself, why not leave it in the fridge as well. Honestly I'm not that concerned about sediment, it doesn't bother me at all really, I just wanted to see how clear I could get the beer without using a secondary.

But what I am hearing is that I should actually take the primary out of the fridge and let it warm to room temp overnight and just be careful while racking to not suck up any trub and not worry about letting any sediment settle in the bottling bucket?

Back