Unwanted house guest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do?

• Hunt that biatch like he's Moby Dick and you are Ahab!

• Have Spawn #3 cook supper and leave a plate out. He'll leave.

• Live and let live. Mice need love, too. He'll leave when it gets nice out.

• Borrow Yeagers77's dog. The mouse will hurt himself laughing and go to the hospital.

Results are only viewable after voting.

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Reaction score
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
So I'm sitting here flipping back and forth between the BBC and HBT when some movement catches my eye. A freakin mouse just ran across my dining room floor. Now I'm 50 years old, I've adopted a live and let live attitude n my life. Unless that freakin mouse is carrying Claymores for the Taliban I'm pretty much ok with him hanging out downstairs in the cellar for a few more weeks till summer gets here and he moves outside looking for love. But I have SWMBO to keep happy, and if she see's Mickey bro around the house she'll sheet a brick. What should I do?

PTN

I am at war with mice as well.... and I am winning. I live in an OLD farm house and when we moved in 2 years ago it was like Ratigen had taken over and was running a fuedal empire. Now I am the rat king!

Live and let live is good and all, but how are you sure that he's adopting that same attitude towards you? Leptospirosis, hauntavirus, plauge.... None of which are on my personal to-do list.

Hunt that motha like Ahab!

I solved my mouse problem with a liberal dose of stealth and a Crossman .177 pellet gun!

Mouse_hunt.jpg

Two houses ago I killed 16 mice in one night.

Needless to say, the problem had gone undetected.

Use regular Victory mouse traps...but use a pair of pliers to crimp down the trigger a bit to make it more sensitive.

I used hard cheddar cheese with peanut butter smeared on it. Mash it real good into the bait paddle. Peanut butter attracts them with the smell, and the cheese is hard enough they actually have to bite it and trigger the trap.

Where there’s one…there are several.

I say trap up. Live and let live is fine, as long as they're not stepping in on your domain. At home we had some trees that brushed up against the roof, allowing mice to get into the attic, my dad still keeps the kill score sheet on the door to the attic.

Use dots (the candy) if you have any, half of one is good bait. Your little buddy will be sleeping in to time.

I like the victor style traps - cheap and effective. Always lay them along a wall - mice like to run along walls. Bait is always peanut butter (they can't resist it and they cant steal it).

Comprehensive pest control program. Stop the access and food source as well as trapping. Trapping only gets the stupid ones.:D

Check you pantry too. He's scored a buffet somewhere. Just pray he's not "El Magnifico" because "no whan, I mean no whan can catch dat mowse".

By way of expalaination, I've always felt a certain kinship with Herman Melvile.
I can see that. You're about the same age.;)

If the stepdaughter's cooking is as bad as you describe, I go with that solution. Save that, hunt it like it would be your last meal. It will keep your skills sharp.

According to the experts if you see one you likely have 10 get the traps snapping. If you don't want to kill them you can always use the live traps if you don't feel like killing them

Make it fun, hunt it with a pellet gun. It doesn't bother you to have him there a few extra days, so enjoy the hunt.

Nice shot to you summersolstice

According to the experts if you see one you likely have 10 get the traps snapping. If you don't want to kill them you can always use the live traps if you don't feel like killing them

Ya, that's all well and good but I'm the MOFO who works the graveyard shift for 60 hours a week. If you ain't the fruit of my loin or the baggage of the most wonderful woman on earth I have absolutely NO sympathy or empathy for you. FU, Mouse. You want to live in a house? Go get a f-ing job! You want to sleep on the ouch? Go buy one! I've always had a rule. The f-ing dog can sleep on any couch he buys. Hey, roll the dice MOFO, Barry and Elliot are running another Red Sox Free Furniture/World Series Lottery.

Symphony

Like my earlier allusion, (No, NOT Illusion!) to Capebrewings Pig Roast Thread (which he STILL hasn't figured out!) if you don't get it, you need to spend more time in the library.

PTN

Mice are evil, and therefore must be destroyed.

I grew up in the country, I ain't scared of skunks, badgers, raccoons, bears, or rattlesnakes. But if a mouse runs across the floor you'll find me standing on a chair screaming like a little girl :eek:

I'm an old-fashioned spring-trap user. I am surrounded by forest and farms, so with the 5-6 traps I have out, I catch about one a week.There are so many holes in my meadow it looks like a moonscape. I have to shovel out the tool shed a couple times a year, because the wood rats pack the shelves with branches.

How to keep a greyhound busy for hours:

1. Small red squirrel
2. Space for said squirrel to hide under (heatpump).
3. Climbable posts (wood shelter).
4. Stacks of wood "

Make it fun, hunt it with a pellet gun. It doesn't bother you to have him there a few extra days, so enjoy the hunt.

Nice shot to you summersolstice

It actually did take a week after I first spotted him drinking from my dripping bathroom faucet but I nailed the little ****er - right beside my toaster on the kitchen counter.

Mice are evil, and therefore must be destroyed.

I grew up in the country, I ain't scared of skunks, badgers, raccoons, bears, or rattlesnakes. But if a mouse runs across the floor you'll find me standing on a chair screaming like a little girl :eek:

I'm the same way. I'm a huge ***** when it comes to mice. I'm even worse with bats. Those little varmints get no sympathy from me. Last fall, when I moved into this house, I had mice all over my kitchen. There were mouse turds in my silverware, in my pots and pans, in all of the cabinets. About a dozen poison blocks took care of it in about a week.

uuuuuuugggghhhhhh bats :( like mice with wings yecchh!

:off:

there is a hardware store in town that used to keep a barrel full of old school spring mouse traps towards the back of the store. Whenever SWMBO and I would shop there, I would always set a few of them and leave them on top. One of the last times I was in there, I saw that they moved the barrel up by the counter ;)

Walmart has humane traps. I had one mouse in the house that seemed to have a thing for the Kraussen that bubbled out of an air lock a few batches ago. I set the good ol style trap (before noticing the more humane ones). A lil dab of PB on the trap and no more mouse.

there is a hardware store in town that used to keep a barrel full of old school spring mouse traps towards the back of the store. Whenever SWMBO and I would shop there, I would always set a few of them and leave them on top. One of the last times I was in there, I saw that they moved the barrel up by the counter ;)

ROTFL:D

Anytime I'm at a store that sells them, and they aren't packaged I always set them. What a horrible thing to do:D

Years ago I worked at a liquor store & on Fridays, just before the initial after work weekend rush, I would shake up several entire 6 packs of cheap swill like Fallstaff or Milwaukee's Best & put them back on the front shelf of the cooler. Not exactly a loaded mousetrap in a barrel, but worth a giggle. :D

buy swimbo a cat.

OR just get a coffee can full of used litter from a friend. Not the filled-with-chunks kind, the clean stuff off the top of the box. Poke some holes in the lid and put it in the basement. No more mice.

B

I used sticky traps and killed 36 mice in a 3 day period at a place I was staying at a few years ago. Mice are dirty, disease carrying scourge.

I poison the little ****ers now. Rats and Mice can go back to the hell they a cometh from!!

Years ago I worked at a liquor store & on Fridays, just before the initial after work weekend rush, I would shake up several entire 6 packs of cheap swill like Fallstaff or Milwaukee's Best & put them back on the front shelf of the cooler. Not exactly a loaded mousetrap in a barrel, but worth a giggle. :D

Thats some funny stuff right there. The people who got thei fingers snapped probably didn't deserve it, but you drink Milwaukee's best, and you got it coming to ya.

I used sticky traps and killed 36 mice in a 3 day period at a place I was staying at a few years ago. Mice are dirty, disease carrying scourge.

I poison the little ****ers now. Rats and Mice can go back to the hell they a cometh from!!

WTF, were you living in a sewer?:p;)

No doubt, the only time I think i'v ever even layed eyes on that number of mice was back on the farm in an old grain bin. I was out bird hunting and opened up an old bin that had been abandoned for years. There was a bunch of old stale rotten grain in the bottom, and the floor looked like it was moving from all the mice. Plus there was nests full of babies, I unloaded the shotgun, reloaded and let em have it again.

Pops was baling hay close by, and asked me later what all the shooting was about. He was kinda pissed about me shooting that old grain bin full of holes.

Back on subject: Kill em all with no mercy

live and let live is not an option
and you will know for sure when swmbo and you start to smell rat piss its the most nasty thing and little turds under you cabnits and stove

some said cut off the food,, thay dont know what thay are talking about unless you put every thing you have in glass or metal and never have any food in the trash can
becase thay will eat thought cardboard and plastic in seconds and get in too anything and everything

on top of traping get some poison baits and place them in your crawl space and around the outside of your house along property lines
no mice on your property also means no fleas or ticks on the pets

No doubt, the only time I think i'v ever even layed eyes on that number of mice was back on the farm in an old grain bin. I was out bird hunting and opened up an old bin that had been abandoned for years. There was a bunch of old stale rotten grain in the bottom, and the floor looked like it was moving from all the mice. Plus there was nests full of babies, I unloaded the shotgun, reloaded and let em have it again.

Pops was baling hay close by, and asked me later what all the shooting was about. He was kinda pissed about me shooting that old grain bin full of holes.

Back on subject: Kill em all with no mercy

:mug::mug::mug:

Rack me in with the group with old houses. My house has a dirt floor in part of the basement where the mice tunnel into the house from outside. Last year I left the house on autopilot for a couple months over the winter due to lack of ability to heat it. When I returned, the little squeaksh1ts were everywhere. I discovered how bad it was when I went to feed my fish (Tiger Oscar Cichlid) one day. He did not come to the top of the tank when I called him because his mouth was full. Somehow, he had caught a mouse. For the dog or cat to catch a mouse is one thing, but when the fish catches one, you have a problem.

I declared a holy war on the fuzzy little food pirates. I cleared two walmarts out of stock of sticky traps and set them everywhere. Doorways were stickylined, cabinets were half useless because of stickytraps, There were so many traps laid out that the house was like one big roll of flypaper.

In the end, I caught so many that I stopped counting. Fortunately, my fish turned out to really enjoy his new friends.

Back