Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KUbrew

Reaction score
I thought I would post my keezer build since I went with a tower instead of a collar, which, from what I can tell, is in the minority on HBT. After much debate I decided to go with the tower, mainly because I love the look of the tower and space isn't an issue so I can open up my lid without hitting the wall with my tap handles.

Here's my CL freezer (already with the lid taken apart), a kenmore that will hold 6 kegs, a 20# tank and still have room for bottled beer and pint glasses.
DSCN1758-small.jpg

I needed to reinforce the lid with some 1/2" wood in order for it to be sturdy enough to mount the tower onto.
DSCN1762-small.jpg

I used gorilla glue to attach the wood and let it cure overnight. (The wife loved me using her mixer to hold the wood down!)
DSCN1760-small.jpg

I used leftover wood to attach 3- 5"X8" pieces to where the towers will be mounted for a little extra support.
DSCN1765-small.jpg

Here's the lid with the wiring reattached and the insulation back in.
DSCN1766-small.jpg

I don't have a hole driller so I decided to try my 1.5" wood drill bit and see if it would make it through the sheet metal on the lid. After going through 2 batteries on the drill it finally made it through!
DSCN1763-small.jpg

And here's the finished product. The wife is working on some custom handles so hopefully I'll have the cheap ones gone in the next few days. I only have the capacity for 2 kegs right now but as time and money allows I'll be able to expand and put a two tap tower on each side in order to have 6 taps total.
DSCN1770-small.jpg

Here's the inside, doesn't look like it from this pic, but it will hold 6 kegs and a 20# co2 tank.
DSCN1771-small.jpg

How are the hinges holding up with the extra weight? I'm thinking about trying this route, except they filled my lid with the foam insulation :(

malric, hinges will hold a lot wegiht - look at jesters keezer. Also you can check mine out - it has a lot of weight more that the hinges can hold in the upright but wiht the right support it should be fine. I spent 60 buck on 2 identical hinges to the 2 that were on my keezer but haven't found a need ot install them.

Sorry, didn't see the posts until today. It's holding great with all the weight, those hinges are tough! I've now got 3 towers on it and 6 kegs full, much better than just 2 kegs. The next project is a nice drip tray, but it's hard to find something long enough to accommodate all 6 taps.

DSC09058.jpg

My taps span about 30", I like the micromatic ones, but wow are they pricey. I've been looking into a DIY option, but I'm not much of a metal worker unfortunately.

Latest posts

Back