Stuck (slow) fermentation - should I bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

habermanm

Reaction score
My first batch as a home brewer is in the primary right now I started at 1.058 and it's been sitting for 2 weeks in the primary. I'm using munton's ale yeast, and I'm making a 3 gallon batch.

It fermented at about 68 degrees, and bubbled about once a second for 2 days. After that things slowed down considerably. It's now 2 weeks as I said, and it's only at 1.028. I've tried swirling, moving to a warmer room, and pitching some more fresh yeast. I still get no action on the airlock, but when I swirled, quite a it of dissolved co2 came out.

I'm afraid to leave it on the primary for much longer, and I don't have a secondary. I was thinking of bottling without priming sugar, and letting it condition in the bottle for 3 weeks in a warm room. Does this sound like a good plan, or is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks,

Mark

What kind of fermenter are you using? What sort of beer are you making? I'm a relative noob but was told when I had these concerns that I should take a hydrometer reading and if it doesn't change for 3 days what you got is what you're gonna get. If it's been 2 weeks and you're not see any further reduction I'd take it to bottle. That's just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

Thanks for the response. It's an amber ale. Just Light LME, and Some Crystal 60. Pretty hoppy, about 50 IBU. I'm using a 3-gallon glass carboy.

What was your OG? 1.028 sounds VERY high for anything but a very high gravity beer.

I have tried racking the beer off the cake into a clean carboy.
Then I mixed up 1 liter of fresh wort by boiling one cup of DME. ( I didn't have yeast nutrient or I would have added some) cooled it.
Then I put the fresh wort onto the cake, shook it up, and waited for the mini krausen.
Finally racked the beer back.

Fermentation took off and I dropped from 1.03 to 1.02 and still working.
I worried about aerating but most of the beer was in the other carboy.
At the last test, the beer tasted good, so no off flavors yet.

I got this idea from another talk site.

Thanks for the responses. I ended up bottling as is. It was drinkable, but not great. I'm going to chalk it up as beginners unluckiness and try again with an IPA and some Safale us-05.

Latest posts

Back