Pliny the Elder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior627

Reaction score
Anyone know of anyplace in NYC Metro area to get hands on bottle of Pliny the Elder?

I was watching a youtube video recently where the brewers allegedly decided to stop bottling it & serve it fresh from the tap. No growlers either. They said too many people weren't getting any with others grabbing it all up.

We were watching a DVD later that day upstairs from the History channel. Their head historian,a woman,pronounced it "Pliny",with a short i. Not "Pliney" with a long I. Interesting little factoid...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was watching a youtube video recently where the brewers allegedly decided to stop bottling it & serve it fresh from the tap. No growlers either. They said too many people weren't getting any with others grabbing it all up.

This is absolutely false.

Russian River distributes to California, Colorado, Philly, and Oregon.

85% of the beer they produce is purchased at the brew pub.

Your best bet is a trade. Or you can attempt to get lucky in Philly, but I don't like you chances. Most of it probably doesn't even hit the shelves.

Just a word on the bottle swap. I got a bottle this way a few years ago. It was impressive, but overall I was underwhelmed considering all the hype. A couple of weeks ago, at NHC I was fortunate enough to get to Monk’s in Philly before they ran out. To do this beer justice, find a way to get it fresh, on tap. Amazing! Road trip to Philly.

This is absolutely false.

Russian River distributes to California, Colorado, Philly, and Oregon.

85% of the beer they produce is purchased at the brew pub.

Your best bet is a trade. Or you can attempt to get lucky in Philly, but I don't like you chances. Most of it probably doesn't even hit the shelves.

How can this be false? It came right from the horses mouth. I didn't make it up,they said it themselves. Watch the video!:confused:

How can this be false? It came right from the horses mouth. I didn't make it up,they said it themselves. Watch the video!:confused:

They never said in the video that they were going to stop bottling Elder. They just talked about how they don't bottle Younger. In fact at the end of the video they talk about how they built a new brewing facility specifically to try to keep up with demand for bottled Elder (which they are still aren't doing, I might add).

Elder is good, especially when it's super fresh, but I do think it's a bit over-hyped these days. There is a lot of great beer out there now that is equal to or better than Pliny and is much easier to get. That said, I still can't not grab a Pliny when I see it on the shelf, if only because it is such a "beer celebrity" that you feel like you're one of the chosen few whenever you get your hands on one. I know that makes me a terrible hypocrite, but whatever.

I watched it again,& you're right,it was younger being referred to. The last time I found pliny the elder around here,I thought it tasted like pinesol.:drunk: Maybe not so fresh??? Idk,only found it once.

Back