Steam hop's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
making a steam beer tomorrow, i know the style calls for N. Brewer, but i dont usually stick to styles often. last time i made a steam i used all Chinook, and it turned out to be one of the best beers i've made. Well i dont have Chinook anymore, kind of tossing around the idea all Cascade, i do have some Centennial, Argentina cascade, EKG and Willamette. the EKG and Willamette (2oz of each) i'm kind of saving back for other beers.

if you weren't sticking to the style, what would you use?

I read in another thread of Jamil' advice to not use any citrusy hops in a steam to keep from covering up the fruityness of the beer. I tend to agree. I too plan on brewing this pretty soon and don't have any N. Brewer - closest I have is Mt Hood...

i do have an ounce of mt. hood 5.2%, could finish with that....i'd like to shoot for around 30 ibu's i think...dont know though. hmmmmm

If I remember correctly the Argentina Cascades do not have that familliar cittrusy flavor that the US Cascades do... I am not 100% sure of this, so if I were you I would look that up, then possibly use those :D

If I remember correctly the Argentina Cascades do not have that familliar cittrusy flavor that the US Cascades do... I am not 100% sure of this, so if I were you I would look that up, then possibly use those :D

Northern berwer's site says its a good sub for Hallertau-type and Goldings-type.

i will think i'll use them tomorrow...it maynot be close to style at all, but it should be good...if not, i'll learn something new haha

Yeah, it is definitely your beer - damn the style... it is all about experimentation. My only thoughts are the fruityness of a steamer is what makes it a steamer...

german tradition is a great replacement for n. brewer. it has that same woodiness.

i would use a noble hop before i used an american variety. nothing too citrusy.

mt. hood is alot like hallertau...that might be tasty.

Back