Reusing Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedragoon85

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of fermenting an AHS German Weissbier and after I rack it I want to reuse the yeast cake by just dumping in a new 5 gallon batch of AHS Hefeweizen straight into the primary fermenter. I also want to make some Dunkelweizen and a Weizenbock. I'm practically planing on going all out on german wheat beers and using the same fermenter and yeast cake. What I would be doing is reusing the same fermenter and same yeast cake 3 more times after this batch; there would be no cleaning of the fermenter, and I would just dump a new 5 gallon batch (right after I rack the previous batch to secondary) onto the yeast cake left behind. Would this cause any problems? Not advised? what do you all think?

It should be alright, go with the Dunkelweizen then the Weizenbock though. If you go to far you may want to seperate the trub from the yeast and repitch.

It should be alright, go with the Dunkelweizen then the Weizenbock though. If you go to far you may want to seperate the trub from the yeast and repitch.

Yeah, I'm like doing it in increments; from light to darker, weissbier, hefeweizen, dunkelweizen, and weizenbock. I'm hoping there wont be a big build up of trub.

I was also wondering how I should go about making the Dunkelweizen and and Weizenbock. I know that with the traditional German wheat beer you want to keep the yeast in so for the weissbier and hefeweizen I will leave in the primary for 10 to 12 days and go straight to bottling. Would you do the same thing for a dunkelweizen or weizenbock? or is a secondary in order?

I am pretty sure the Dunkelweizen still has a fair amount of yeast in it. For the weizenbock well I am not really familiar with the style...so hopefully someone else hopefully can chime in on that.

..Edit::.. Google tells me yeast in the weizenbock too.

I am pretty sure the Dunkelweizen still has a fair amount of yeast in it. For the weizenbock well I am not really familiar with the style...so hopefully someone else hopefully can chime in on that.

..Edit::.. Google tells me yeast in the weizenbock too.

Thanks for the info :) I guess I will bottle all of them straight from the primary.

I'm not a malty dark wheat beer fan, but this sounds like an awesome idea for multiple batches. When you're done, you should wash the yeast on top of the cake to see if it'll make a gentle hefe or weiss again. That would complete the experiment.

Back