Advice on my brewery plan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KipIngram

Reaction score
Hi. I'm preparing to put together a HERMS brewing setup. I'll use manual valves initially, but may replace them later with automated valves and go full auto. This system uses one PID controller that always controls the HLT heating element. You can see a schematic of the flow layout here:

http://pastebin.com/Dybw7JYu

I'm interested in any advice that anyone might care to share as to what's good and bad about this plan.

Thanks,
Kip

Well... if your final goal is full automation, then PIDs won't be able to handle it, so you would have to eventually replace them.

If you want to start out with the end in mind, a system like BrewTroller can handle everything from simple heat control up to volume measurement and full automation.

What size system and what heating elements are you considering.

If you are going automated and are planning on using ball valves this is a cheap source.

**Although I wouldn't use ball valves for an automated system due to cleaning issues. Butterfly valves cost a LOT of money comparatively.

If I had to do my system again I would go with a BCS from the start instead of PIDs.

You'll need some sort of control on the boil element, as 100% will likely be too much.

The image hurts my head:(:tank: .... a drawn out P&ID will probably get better responses. Are you planing hard plumbed or QD tubing?

Back