Coke or Pepsi?(pin or ball)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Movinfr8

Reaction score
Ok, new to kegging, I bought 2 pinlock kegs this weekend off Craigslist, and when I get home, it seems ball lock are much more popular. I am going to hit up some area bottlers this week to get some more, but don't know if I should get ball or pin.
Thoughts on both?
Also, one of the kegs, I can't seem to break the valves loose, it doesn't help that the pins prevent getting a wrench on there either!

Ball lock kegs are more popular and easier to find...I would recommend trying to find the ball lock kegs for ease of finding rebuild parts in the future, but for now use this, or make your own, to get the fittings off. Any of the online suppliers should have them in stock. Hope this helps.
Pinlock.jpg

You can get an open ended wrench on just enough usually if you angle it over the pins. If not, you can make your own slotted socket. I personally ended up with dozens of pinlock kegs and actually like them just fine. If you have access to ball locks for the same price though, go that way for ease of parts as stated above.

Personally, I hate pin locks. I worked with them a lot in college and had too many showers when the connector didn't seat fully & the locking ring wouldn't turn. Ball locks don't open the poppet valve until the balls clear the lip on the plug.

Back