Etching beer glasses...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtant

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So last year for Christmas, my wife picked up some cheap beer glasses for me. She never got the etching stuff because she wasn't quite sure where to get it or what I wanted. It's the thought that counts, right?

Anyway, the other night I finally got around to picking the stuff up and giving it a go.

The stencil wasn't too bad to make, but I'd rather not make too many more in the future. I used painters tape to make the edges of the stencil.

Next, I just applied a thick layer of Armor Etch using a cheap paintbrush. The directions say to rinse of after 5 minutes. I was happy with the 5 minute results so I kept increasing the time. 15-20 minutes will give you maximum results.

Here are my first three results. I'm very pleased with how they turned out.

And an action shot...

All cell phone pics, so I apologize for the quality.

My beer glasses match my Keezer collar. I burned Shady Abe into the wood before I stained it. It gave it a nice, subtle effect.

Those turned out great! I did something similar with my carboys last winter. I marked them off in half gallon increments.

Thanks for the replies. That's a shame about the beer bottles. I was thinking that might make good gifts.

I learned such a product existed by reading through a carboy thread.

Thanks for the replies. That's a shame about the beer bottles. I was thinking that might make good gifts.

I learned such a product existed by reading through a carboy thread.

I met a guy who sandblasts beer bottles they look cool. I'm going to just use glass paint for the beer bottles.

I had wondered about the sandblasting. Those kits are right next to the etching stuff.

I was thinking next year I might make some wooden six packs and pass out some of my homebrew with etched logos. Maybe add a personal touch to them.

Man that is wicked! May I ask, where did you buy the kit and what did it run you?

Also, will this work on clear wine bottles?

I didn't buy a kit. There are kits available, but they include lots of stencils I did not want or need.

I used Armor Etch. a 10 oz bottle was about $25. I did six glasses and have lots left over. I purchased it at Michael's craft store. I've also seen it Hobby Lobby, so I assume most craft stores carry the stuff. The stencil was a blank latex stencil. An exacto blade slices right through it.

I laid the paper on top of the blank stencil and cut through both. The directions suggest using carbon paper to transfer the design. I left the carbon paper at work, but didn't feel like waiting another day to grab it from work.

WOW. Those look awesome. Might have to give this a shot.

Like the carboy volume etching too.

I didn't buy a kit. There are kits available, but they include lots of stencils I did not want or need.

I used Armor Etch. a 10 oz bottle was about $25. I did six glasses and have lots left over. I purchased it at Michael's craft store. I've also seen it Hobby Lobby, so I assume most craft stores carry the stuff. The stencil was a blank latex stencil. An exacto blade slices right through it.

I laid the paper on top of the blank stencil and cut through both. The directions suggest using carbon paper to transfer the design. I left the carbon paper at work, but didn't feel like waiting another day to grab it from work.

I showed this to SWMBO and it turns out she already knows how to do this and used to make mirrors for people like this. So she will be doing my wine bottles :ban::tank:

I did this on green and brown bottles as well and had no problem with the colored bottles. I leave the etching cream on until it dries, about an hour before I wash it off. Maybe that makes a difference?

This is what we're talking about. It comes in many sized bottles. All chain art supply stores carry it, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Joanne Fabrics...You can also order from amazon.

511envVXaZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is what we're talking about. It comes in many sized bottles. All chain art supply stores carry it, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Joanne Fabrics...You can also order from amazon.

511envVXaZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Take a look in your local paper or online if you have a Michael's or Joanne's locally, they regularly have 40% and 50% off coupons.

Back